TOKYO, ($1=113.40 Japanese Yens) – “The Land of the Rising Sun” has launched the construction of stealth ships, each costing just under $ 500 million, learned BulgarianMilitary.com, citing Defense Express.
- China rated its amphibious assault ship and Z-18J helicopters
- USS Zumwalt super-destroyer is rusting near California, literally
- Top 5 largest aircraft carriers in the world
- DPRK warship in the Sea of Japan is worrying Japan’s coast guard
On December 10, 2021, the Japanese Self-Defense Forces held the launching ceremony of their fourth frigate of the Mogami project, named Mikuma, and built at the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Nagasaki Works shipyard. This was the fourth ship of the Mogami project to be launched in the last year, according to local sources.
It is known that Japan plans to build 22 frigates of the Mogami project for the Naval Self-Defense Forces, the cost of each of these “stealth ships” is just over $ 450 million.
If the Japanese continue to maintain the current rate of production, they will build the entire planned series of Mogami frigates in a maximum of 6 years. For comparison, it took China 15 years to build a series of 32 of its most modern Type 054 frigates, at the rate of 2 ships a year.
China is a potential military adversary for Japan, and Japan has already surpassed China in the pace of building frigate warships. Moreover, the Japanese have already given their frigates the Mogami project functions as a destroyer, in particular – to automate the process of controlling weapons systems and other systems onboard ships.
The Japanese frigates of the Mogami project have the following tactical and technical characteristics:
- standard displacement – 3900 tons;
- length of the case – 132.5 meters;
- width of the case – 16.3 meters;
- maximum speed – 30 knots;
- crew – 90 sailors;
- set of weapons – one 127-mm artillery installation BAE Systems Mk.45 mod.4; vertical launcher Mk.41; eight anti-ship missiles MHI type 17 [firing range – up to 400 kilometers], anti-aircraft missile system Raytheon SeaRAM [firing range – up to 10 kilometers]; sea mines [unspecified number].
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news, follow our Google News, YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Subscribe to our Newsletter and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay. Our standards: Manifesto & ethical princliples.