TEL AVIV, (BM) – Sources from the Israeli Ministry of Defense claim that according to the data provided to them, Russian submarines are escorting Iranian ships into the waters of the Mediterranean Sea. According to Tel Aviv, Iranian tankers crossing Mediterranean waters move quite calmly, knowing that the Russian navy guarantees their safety by sending submarines armed with cruise missiles.
This information was also confirmed by several Russian media. Initially, they claimed that Russia was escorting only through its warships in the area, but after a statement from the Israeli military, they also confirmed the news.
“Sources from the Israeli Ministry of Defense said that the Russian navy was protecting merchant ships heading for Syria,” not only above water but also underwater,” Avipro said in a comment.
Israel is entirely helpless in its attempts to block the trade route by water between Iran and Syria, and this worries Tel Aviv because, according to them, 90% of the tankers are full of oil and the remaining 10% of weapons.
Iranian military experts have commented that Russian submarines and frigates escorting “valuable cargo” armed with Caliber cruise missiles. The Russians have repeatedly confirmed the use of Caliber fired from the Mediterranean, mainly at jihadist positions in northern Syria.
In this case, according to Iranian experts, Israel is cautious. It does not carry out “sea movements” when the guard of the Iranian water convoy is under the protection of Moscow.
According to unconfirmed information, Israel has satellite images showing at least two Russian submarines near Iranian ships off the coast of Syria. However, it is assuming that their number may be higher.
Israel hit an Iranian cargo ship in Red Sea
Israel hit an Iranian cargo ship in the Red Sea in earlier April, AFP reported then. According to the agency, the Iranian boat suffered minor damage in the explosion. The news was confirmed by the Iranian Foreign Ministry as well.
“Fortunately, no casualties were reported… and technical investigations are underway,” Khatibzadeh said. “Our country will take all necessary measures through international authorities.”
The attacked Iranian ship is MV Saviz, and the explosion took place off the coast of Djibouti around 6 am local time on Tuesday. Iran is launching an investigation into the entire incident.
According to an Iranian source, the ship came across a field of magnetic mines. At the same time, Israel has officially acknowledged that it has notified Washington. The anonymous US official said Israel called the strike a retaliation, and that the ship had been hit below the water line.
Israel has no practice of confirming such actions. Tel Aviv only confirms attacks, airstrikes, and military actions resulting from revenge after an Israeli territory attack, as in this case is.
Israeli-Iranian proxy war / cold war
Communication between Israel and Iran is mostly threatening and hostile. Such has been the relationship between the two countries for a very long time. This situation is known as the proxy conflict, the proxy war, or the Cold War between the two countries.
The conflict “appeared” on the world map after the Iranian revolution in 1979. In all the years to this day, Iran aims to destroy Israel as a state. Tehran supports groups and organizations that are hostile to the Jewish state and people. On the other hand, Israel is worried about Iran’sIran’s nuclear program. The proximity of the two countries worries Tel Aviv that Iranians could use them against Israel if Iran has nuclear weapons. Israel also finds its allies in the face of the United States and Saudi Arabia, which are apparent opponents of Iran.
Thus, this conflict gradually turned into an Israeli-Iranian war. The competition has been going on since the start of the Syrian civil war. According to Iran, Israel rules by an illegitimate “Zionist regime,” a Tehran problem. Iran’sIran’s other point of reference is that the United States is hostile to Muslims because it supports Israel.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news, follow our Google News, YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Subscribe to our Newsletter and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay.