Eight Yasen-class nuclear subs will fill the Russian fleet this decade

Subscribe to Google News

MOSCOW, (BM) – This decade is essential for the Russian Navy. In recent years, Moscow has gradually begun projects for both warships and frigates, and submarines. Eight nuclear submarines expect to enter service in the next 7 to 10 years in the Russian Navy.

Mikhail Budnichenko, general director of the Sevmash plant, spoke to RIA Novosti. According to him, the production of all Yasen-M class submarines is going according to plan. The manufacturer completed two subs of this class. Kazan and Novosibirsk went through trials and had to be armed, but this was postponed.

The Krasnoyarsk, Arkhangelsk, and Perm submarines are under development. According to Budnichenko, their construction is going according to plan. The same goes for the sub-Ulyanovsk.

The Vladivostok and Voronezh submarines expect to be completed in the middle of this year. If they pass the tests, the Russians expect them to be in service with the Russian Navy by the end of the decade.

Of all the eight submarines under the Yassen-M project, only Severodvinsk is in service. This submarine is a multifunctional nuclear submarine.

Yasen project

The Russian Navy’s Yasen-class submarines are to replace existing Soviet-era Russian submarines. This project is a series of the newest nuclear-powered cruise missile submarines.

According to the Russian Ministry of Defense’s information, the price of the first submarine of this class is 1 billion USD, while the cost of the second is 725 million USD. The price expects to decrease slightly in proportion to each subsequent submarine. According to the manufacturer of this class of submarines – Sevmash, only 30% of the costs are the manufacturer’s work, while the remaining 70% are related to costs by suppliers.

US Admiral Foggo, who commanded the US Navy for Europe, said in an interview that submarines of this class are extremely quiet. Various military sources and analysts say that the Russian submarine Severodvinsk is comparable to the American Seawolf. Some analysts go further and argue that Severodvinsk is faster than American Virginia-class submarines with three knots.

Russian Navy will be armed with new electric torpedoes

The Russian Navy will arm itself with an electric torpedo, BulgarianMilitary.com has learned, quoting the Russian edition of Vzglyad. Boris Obnosov, chief executive of the Tactical Missile Weapons Corporation, said the torpedos had passed state tests and begin phased production and delivery to the fleet.

“In 2020, we completed state tests of the first Russian electric torpedo … Today, the first serial models of new electric torpedoes have already entered service in the Russian Navy,” Obnosov said in an interview with the Military-Industrial Courier newspaper.

According to Obnosov, during the Soviet Union, Moscow also decided to produce a similar torpedo type. At that time, however, Russian engineers failed to achieve the desired tactical and technical characteristics.

Obnosov also said that modern Russian electric torpedoes today surpass their Western competitors in terms of quietness, range, depth of immersion, and target detection range. Obnosov declined to say the name of the electric torpedo.

***

Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay.

Subscribe to Google News

>>Be a reporter: Write and send your article.<<

BulgarianMilitary.com
Editorial team

DO YOU EVALUATE OUR REPORTING? WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT.

Dear reader,

BulgarianMilitary.com continues to be an objective and expert source of information in the field of defense industry, military-political relations and military conflicts around the world.

Now more than ever, we need free and independent journalism. We believe that information should not be behind a paid wall and we will continue to commit to keeping it free.

We know that our readers appreciate the content of BulgarianMilitary.com. In the last year, the indicators on our page have doubled. At the same time, the support of readers in the form of recurring monthly financial contributions provides continuous support for our work, which allows us to innovate.

We are more confident than ever in our role bridging media, policy, and the public. And we thank you for your support.

Your recurring monthly financial contributions help us innovate for the future. Please consider making a recurring contribution to BulgarianMilitary.com.
Asian Defence NewsDefense NewsNaval systemsRussian Defence Newssubmarinesyasen class submarine