PANAGYURISHTE, (BM) – In today’s world, it is difficult to determine which assault rifle is the best. That’s why we make a ranking every year – many models appear on the international military and civilian markets. Our order for the top five of the best assault rifles this year is a combination and cross-evaluation of various indicators, including:
- number of weapons produced since its creation;
- participation in military missions or wars;
- in which countries it is in service;
- in which army units it is in service.
Our ranking of the top five best assault rifles for 2021 looks like this:
5. M16 assault rifle, USA
Although today there are dozens of manufacturers and hundreds of new models, varieties, and solutions in the field of assault rifles, the American icon M16 assault rifle again falls into our ranking.
We can point out many reasons why this assault rifle is in our ranking, but here are the main ones:
- The Americans produced-M16 assault rifle from 1964 to the present day.
- In 2003, the US sold 8 million M16 assault rifles since its inception;
- M16 assault rifle is in service in 80 countries around the world;
- M16 assault rifle was involved in 38 conflicts throughout its existence.
The M16 assault rifle is a product of the Korean War. During this war, the Americans faced a completely new tactic – vast crowds of Koreans attacked American positions. Then the American aeronautical engineer Eugene Stone decided to find the necessary firepower to “quickly mow” the enemy. Thus was born a legend, alive to this day and perhaps in the years to come.
The M16 assault rifle is light. Many military experts say that the way Stone decided to “discharge the gas” through the pipeline into the bolt carrier is the reason for the weapon’s weight. The M16 assault rifle uses piston-free automatic deaeration of gases.
Some experts say this is also part of the disadvantage, as such a design requires more expensive gunpowder.
The M16 Assault Rifle proudly ranks fifth in the top 5 of the world’s best assault rifles in 2021. Quite deservedly against the backdrop of hundreds of new models that have yet to reach the perfection of Stone’s genius.
4. IWI Tavor X95 assault rifle, Israel
The Israeli IWI Tavor X95 assault rifle is part of the famous Tavor weapon brand, developed by Israel Weapon Industries, and takes the prestigious fourth place in our ranking. There are good reasons for this to replace its predecessor, the IWI Tavor 21 assault rifle.
IWI Tavor X95 assault rifle is a new model. The gun developed in 2009 and the production of the weapon started from 2009 until today. It is the primary weapon of dozens of Israeli military units, including the notorious Israeli navy – Shayetet 13.
The main reasons why the IWI Tavor X95 assault rifle falls to our fourth place are the following:
- IWI Tavor X95 assault rifle serves some of the most prosperous, successful, and proven combat units in the world;
- IWI Tavor X95 assault rifle is exported to 19 countries, although it is a brand new model
- IWI Tavor X95 assault rifle is using by some police units in the United States
- The IWI Tavor X95 assault rifle has three production facilities outside Israel
- IWI Tavor X95 assault rifle is still selling in major civilian markets, including the US and Canada
The X95 has its differences from the IWI Tavor 21. For example, the refill is more comfortable to remove, the charging handle is much closer to the butt, while the Tavo 21 was closer to the barrel.
X95 has a unique but simple design. This assault rifle’s characteristic is that the gun can quickly and easily convert it to shoot with different calibers, such as a 5.56 mm machine gun to a 9 mm machine gun.
The X95 allows the soldier to use a variety of variations. For example, there are three different handguards, several types of rails, including built-in rails, changing the handle, configuring the trigger guard, and more.
The IWI Tavor X95 assault rifle is a model you would like to have or at least test. Fourth place for the Israelis and their ingenious solution for mobility, quality, lightness, and precision.
3. AK-103 assault rifle, Russia
When we talk about assault rifles, there should be no ranking without the participation of one of the many varieties of the Kalashnikov family. Light, precise, poll-off, and useful are the characteristics of Russian assault rifles from this family.
For many years, the AK47 was a threat worldwide, but it seems that the AK-103 may be the best Russian assault rifle developed so far. At least that’s what the Russians say. The Russian giant AK-103 climbs third place on the honorary ladder.
AK-103 began its life in 2011, and it continues to this day. So far, more than 250,000 units of this machine sold worldwide.
Like the previous two models we described, the AK-103 assault rifle has serious reasons to be in third place, and they are:
- During the tests, the AK-103 assault rifle fired 1,400 shots without interruption—something some machine guns can’t do these days.
- AK-103 is in service in 17 countries around the world;
- AK-103 has already participated in 10 wars around the world and continues to participate in some of them;
- AK-103 assault rifle approaches the range of some already produced and used sniper rifles
Unlike its predecessors, the AK-103 uses plastic components. Handle, pistol grip, butt. All this makes it too light and easy to use. AK-103 allows easy and quick installation of a grenade launcher, model GP-34.
AK-103 is covering with a special coating that protects not only the metal parts on it but also protects high-quality plastic. The Russian assault rifle has a muzzle brake. The AK-103 has exactly ten different variants, which allow the assault rifle to become an additional weapon or to acquire various accessories throughout its body.
2. HK416 assault rifle, Germany
It is always unpleasant to be second, but in a ranking like this, the trend is the opposite – of so many varieties, options, and models worldwide, HK416 ranks second in our prestigious list.
Whatever we say about the HK416 assault rifle will be small. For example, did you know that Squadron 6 American seals use this weapon? Squad 6 – The Twins who stormed the house and killed Osama bin Laden. Understandably, murder doesn’t make this weapon unique, but here’s what it does:
- HK416 assault rifle has five military and seven civilian variants
- HK416 assault rifle is in service in 27 countries
- HK416 assault rifle is the primary weapon of nearly 12 special units, units, commandos, and anti-terrorist groups
- The rifle has participated in three wars and continues to experience;
- Depending on the different variations, can shoot at a distance of 300 to 800 meters
- The HC416 assault rifle can fire 60,000 rounds in too dusty environments
HK416 assault rifle is a product of the German company Heckler and Koch. Serial production of the assault rifle began in 2004 and continues to this day.
The HK416 is to benefit the soldier. For example, the assault rifle has a six-stage telescopic buttstock.
The principle of firing the bullet is a patented system of the German company. The system uses a short-stroke piston that pulls the bolt carrier back. German experts claim that this is what prevents gas from entering the interior of the weapon. With a lower temperature and less pollution, the HK416 becomes a precision-accurate weapon. German developers claim that a prototype of the assault rifle fired 10,000 rounds without interruption during its development. After several developed prototypes, the German engineers came up with a variant that gives a short recoil when shooting.
FN SCAR assault rifle, Belgium/USA
FN SCAR assault rifle may be the future of military armaments. The engineering capabilities on both sides created this military jewel. The weapon’s very name suggests which parts are allowed to use the rifle – Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle.
To get to the top of our rankings and get ahead of weapons like the HC416 and AK-103, you have to own something exceptional, and FN SCAR has it. Briefly summarized:
- FN SCAR assault rifle performs various functionalities on the battlefield – assault rifle, primary combat rifle, specially designated marksman rifle, personal defense weapon, and squad automatic weapon. This rifle is everything for everyone.
- FN SCAR assault rifle can change its weight depending on the modification and functionality – from 3 kg to nearly 5 kg.
- FN SCAR assault rifle is currently involved in the fifth military conflict
- This rifle has ten military varieties and four civilians
- Explicitly developed for the United States Special Operations Command
The gun was developed as a prototype back in 2004. FN SCAR assault rifle underwent dozens of design and functionality adjustments to be what it is today. The FN SCAR automatic rifle operates in 32 countries, arming mainly soldiers from special forces. The FN SCAR assault rifle is so precise and easy to use that half of these 32 countries use it for their police units.
FN SCAR assault rifle is a self-loading automatic rifle with a rotating bolt. Depending on the ammunition it uses, the assault rifle has two main variants – light (5.56 × 45 mm cartridge) and heavy (7.62 × 51 mm cartridge according to NATO standard).
The SCAR has two receivers: The lower constructed of polymer, and the upper receiver is one piece and made of aluminum. The SCAR features an integral, uninterrupted Picatinny rail on the top of the aluminum receiver, two removable side rails, and a bottom one that can mount any MIL-STD-1913 compliant accessories. The lower receiver designed with an M16 compatible pistol grip flared magazine well and raised area around the magazine and bolt release buttons. The front sight flips down for free use of optics and accessories. The rifle uses a ‘tappet’ type of closed gas system much like the M1 Carbine, while the bolt carrier otherwise resembles the Stoner 63 or Heckler & Koch G36.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay
Subscribe to Google News