MOSCOW, (BM) – Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova issued a strong and clear warning to Turkey about the country’s involvement in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, learned BulgarianMilitary.com.
“The downing of an Armenian SU-25 fighter from a Turkish F-16, according to the Armenian Defense Ministry, is said to complicate the situation, as Moscow is obliged to provide military assistance to Armenia under the Tashkent Treaty” Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said.
In parallel with Zakharova’s statement, Yerevan hastened to publish photos of the downed Turkish fighter jet, thus refuting Ankara’s claims that this was not true. As we announced yesterday, Yerevan is currently considering whether to take advantage of the activation of Article 4 of the CSTO.
At the same time, Azerbaijan is playing a dangerous game, trying to worsen the situation by sharing information that Turkish F-16s shot down not one but two Armenian fighters.
The information was provided today by the assistant to the President of Azerbaijan Hikmet Hadjiev. He directly accused Armenia of lying and misinformation, and said that the Armenian military is trying to misinform and not present voluminous information to the public and the world.
Yesterday we informed you about the shot down Armenian Su-25 from a Turkish F-16, and according to initial information it was not clear where exactly it was shot down. Later, various reports emerged that this had happened over Armenia or in Armenian airspace.
From the very beginning of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, various military experts have said that Turkey’s participation in this war, whether direct or not, will have a major impact on it, especially in favor of Baku, and it is even likely that this participation will changed the inclination of the scales in favor of Azerbaijan.
The situation in Nagorno-Karabakh escalated on September 27, active clashes are taking place in the disputed territory. Martial law was introduced in Azerbaijan and Armenia, and mobilization was announced. Both sides reported killed and wounded, including civilians. In Baku, they announced the control of several Karabakh villages and strategic heights. Yerevan also reports about the shelling of the territory of Armenia.
Azerbaijan and Armenia have been in conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh since February 1988, when the Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Region announced its withdrawal from the Azerbaijan SSR.
During the armed conflict in 1992-1994, the Azerbaijani side lost control of Nagorno-Karabakh and the seven areas adjacent to it. Since 1992, negotiations have been conducted within the framework of the OSCE Minsk Group on a peaceful settlement of the conflict. The group is led by co-chairs – Russia, USA and France.
In 1994, Azerbaijan, Armenia and the unrecognized Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, through the mediation of Russia, signed the Bishkek Armistice Protocol. At the same time, military operations did not stop there, which periodically renewed.
The most significant exacerbation of the conflict was the four-day war of 2016. Then hundreds of soldiers on both sides became victims.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, during a meeting with the President of Azerbaijan last year, called for a rhetoric that would go against the fundamental principles endorsed by both sides and enshrined in the UN Charter and the Helsinki Final Act when resolving the situation around Nagorno-Karabakh.
At the same time, the head of the Russian Foreign Ministry admitted that much more needs to be done to achieve a long-term political settlement.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay.
Subscribe to Google News