YEREVAN, (BM) – The Azerbaijani Air Force is striking in the northern direction in the conflict zone in Karabakh, the press secretary of the Armenian Ministry of Defense Shushan Stepanyan said on Wednesday, learned BulgarianMilitary.com, citing Interfax.
“The Azerbaijani Air Force is bombing the positions of the Karabakh Defense Army in the northern direction. Turkish-made drones are being used. There are Turkish F-16 fighters in the air,” Stepanyan wrote on Facebook.
According to her, the enemy’s aircraft operates from a distance and does not enter the zone of destruction of the Armenian air defense. “Air-to-ground missiles are used. The conversations of the pilots in Turkish were recorded by us,” Stepanyan said.
At the same time, the Ministry of Defense of Azerbaijan informed about the encirclement of the group of Armenian forces in the direction of Agdera-Terter.
“An operation is underway to destroy the besieged Armenian forces with artillery fire and to clear the area in the direction of Agdera-Terter at the front,” a statement from the Defense Ministry said.
As we reported earlier today the Armenian military has carried out two powerful attacks on Azerbaijani positions. The video frames shows a large-scale artillery and air attack by the Armenian forces, which actually destroyed both the Azerbaijani armored vehicles and the military contact lines in the Republic of Karabakh.
At the same time, local sources provided information that last night the Armenian military did not stop the attacks and hit a group of armored vehicles of the Azerbaijani army, again on the front line of contact. Evidence of this were the powerful explosions carried out by the Armenian military. Sources claim that the destroyed armored vehicles were carrying ammunition and weapons.
The situation in Nagorno-Karabakh escalated on September 27, active clashes are taking place in the disputed territory. Martial law was introduced in Azerbaijan and Armenia, and mobilization was announced. Both sides reported killed and wounded, including civilians. In Baku, they announced the control of several Karabakh villages and strategic heights. Yerevan also reports about the shelling of the territory of Armenia.
Azerbaijan and Armenia have been in conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh since February 1988, when the Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Region announced its withdrawal from the Azerbaijan SSR.
During the armed conflict in 1992-1994, the Azerbaijani side lost control of Nagorno-Karabakh and the seven areas adjacent to it. Since 1992, negotiations have been conducted within the framework of the OSCE Minsk Group on a peaceful settlement of the conflict. The group is led by co-chairs – Russia, USA and France.
In 1994, Azerbaijan, Armenia and the unrecognized Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, through the mediation of Russia, signed the Bishkek Armistice Protocol. At the same time, military operations did not stop there, which periodically renewed.
The most significant exacerbation of the conflict was the four-day war of 2016. Then hundreds of soldiers on both sides became victims.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, during a meeting with the President of Azerbaijan last year, called for a rhetoric that would go against the fundamental principles endorsed by both sides and enshrined in the UN Charter and the Helsinki Final Act when resolving the situation around Nagorno-Karabakh.
At the same time, the head of the Russian Foreign Ministry admitted that much more needs to be done to achieve a long-term political settlement.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay
Subscribe to Google News