Turkish F-16 fighter shot down an Armenian Su-25, the pilot was killed

Subscribe to Google News

TEREVAN, (BM) – As we reported earlier today, according to local sources and the Greek media Pentapostagma, Turkey has sent its F-16s to the Nagorno-Karabakh region to protect the Azerbaijani military from Armenian attacks.

Read more: BulgarianMilitary.com 24/7 – All about Nagorno-Karabakh conflict

Minutes ago, the Armenian defense ministry said that a Turkish F-16 shot down an Armenian Su-25 fighter jet in the skies of Nagorno-Karabakh, confirming fears that the pilot of the Armenian fighter jet had been killed.

According to other media, the Turkish F-16 fighter shot down a Su-25 over Armenian territory.

It has already become known that Turkey has sent four F16 fighter jets to Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan, to take part in air operations against the Armenians. The planes took part with other 10 F16s a few days ago in a joint exercise conducted by Turks and Azerbaijanis in Nakhichevan, another pro-Turkish Muslim country located on Armenia’s western border.

According to sources, the losses for the Azeris continue to accumulate, which is unusual because of the military equipment at their disposal. Experts say that in this case, the losses may be dictated by inexperience among Azerbaijani soldiers.

As we reported earlier today, Armenia is sending Russian S-300 systems to repel Azerbaijani and Turkish airstrikes on Nagorno-Karabakh. According to sources, the Armenian military has previously managed to shoot down two Turkish attacking drones Bayraktar.

Russia has also sent air reinforcements to Armenia, and according to unconfirmed information, we are talking about unmarked and without distinctive Russian MiG-29 fighters.

What’s happened to September 27 in Nagorno-Karabakh region

Tensions between Armenia and Azerbaijan escalated again on September 27 after the Ministry of Defense of Azerbaijan issued a special press release stating that the forces of the Azerbaijani army are launching a counter-offensive operation on the entire Nagorno-Karabakh front.

“The troops of the Azerbaijani army have launched a counter-offensive operation on the entire front,” the republic’s defense ministry said.

The official opinion of the Ministry of Defense is that military actions of the Armenian military units are being observed and that is why the Azeris have taken actions to repel and suppress them.

Under these circumstances, Washington, with the assistance of the embassies in Azerbaijan and Armenia, issued a special press release warning US citizens and their families to limit their travel on the border between the two countries.

“The US Embassy in Baku advises employees and their families not to travel outside the Absheron Peninsula. US citizens in Azerbaijan are encouraged to continue following local news. The embassy calls on US citizens to pay extra attention in public and to avoid any public demonstrations,” said embassy officials in the Azerbaijani capital.

Military analysts and diplomats from the US diplomatic mission announced that they continue to monitor and analyze what is happening at the border and will provide additional information if necessary.

Nagorno-Karabakh conflict

Azerbaijan and Armenia have been in conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh since February 1988, when the Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Region announced its withdrawal from the Azerbaijan SSR.

During the armed conflict in 1992-1994, the Azerbaijani side lost control of Nagorno-Karabakh and the seven areas adjacent to it. Since 1992, negotiations have been conducted within the framework of the OSCE Minsk Group on a peaceful settlement of the conflict. The group is led by co-chairs – Russia, USA and France.

In 1994, Azerbaijan, Armenia and the unrecognized Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, through the mediation of Russia, signed the Bishkek Armistice Protocol. At the same time, military operations did not stop there, which periodically renewed.

The most significant exacerbation of the conflict was the four-day war of 2016. Then hundreds of soldiers on both sides became victims.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, during a meeting with the President of Azerbaijan last year, called for a rhetoric that would go against the fundamental principles endorsed by both sides and enshrined in the UN Charter and the Helsinki Final Act when resolving the situation around Nagorno-Karabakh.

At the same time, the head of the Russian Foreign Ministry admitted that much more needs to be done to achieve a long-term political settlement.

***

Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay

Subscribe to Google News

>>Be a reporter: Write and send your article.<<

BulgarianMilitary.com
Editorial team

armenian defence newsDefense Newsnagorno-karabakh conflictTurkish defence news