France, Russia and US continues efforts to achieve a ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh

Subscribe to Google News

PARIS, (BM) – Paris, together with Moscow and Washington, is making efforts to achieve a ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh. This was stated on Tuesday by the Minister-Delegate to the Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs of France, Frank Riester, speaking at the National Assembly (lower house of parliament) of the republic, learned BulgarianMilitary.com.

Read more: BulgarianMilitary.com 24/7 – All about Nagorno-Karabakh conflict

“France, together with two other co-chairs of the Minsk Group – Russia and the United States – continue contacts with the parties to the conflict in order to achieve a ceasefire and the resumption of negotiations,” he said. “These negotiations should help find a way out of the long-term crisis within the framework of international law,” Riester said.

According to Riester, “the situation in the conflict zone is difficult: dozens of victims, hundreds of wounded.” “France is doing everything possible to find a way out of this crisis,” the minister assured. “This crisis is serious both for Armenia and Azerbaijan, and for stability in the region.”

The situation in Nagorno-Karabakh escalated on September 27, active clashes are taking place in the disputed territory. Martial law was introduced in Azerbaijan and Armenia, and mobilization was announced. Both sides reported killed and wounded, including civilians. In Baku, they announced the control of several Karabakh villages and strategic heights. Yerevan also reports about the shelling of the territory of Armenia.

Nagorno-Karabakh conflict

Azerbaijan and Armenia have been in conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh since February 1988, when the Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Region announced its withdrawal from the Azerbaijan SSR.

During the armed conflict in 1992-1994, the Azerbaijani side lost control of Nagorno-Karabakh and the seven areas adjacent to it. Since 1992, negotiations have been conducted within the framework of the OSCE Minsk Group on a peaceful settlement of the conflict. The group is led by co-chairs – Russia, USA and France.

In 1994, Azerbaijan, Armenia and the unrecognized Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, through the mediation of Russia, signed the Bishkek Armistice Protocol. At the same time, military operations did not stop there, which periodically renewed.

The most significant exacerbation of the conflict was the four-day war of 2016. Then hundreds of soldiers on both sides became victims.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, during a meeting with the President of Azerbaijan last year, called for a rhetoric that would go against the fundamental principles endorsed by both sides and enshrined in the UN Charter and the Helsinki Final Act when resolving the situation around Nagorno-Karabakh.

At the same time, the head of the Russian Foreign Ministry admitted that much more needs to be done to achieve a long-term political settlement.

***

Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay

Subscribe to Google News

>>Be a reporter: Write and send your article.<<

BulgarianMilitary.com
Editorial team

Defense NewsFrench Defence Newsnagorno-karabakh conflictRussian Defence NewsUS Defense News