MOSCOW, (BM) – The US nuclear arsenal exceeds China’s nuclear arsenal by 20 times, and Washington intends to widen this gap, learned BulgarianMilitary.com citing RIA Novosti.
The demand from China to join the trilateral disarmament talks with Russia is nothing more than an attempt on the part of the United States to untie its hands for military dominance, the director of the department for arms control of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China Fu Tsong said.
“There is a huge gap between the level of the US nuclear arsenal and the level of China’s nuclear arsenal. I want to give one figure. The US nuclear arsenal is about 5,800-6,000 warheads, which is 20 times the size of China’s nuclear arsenal. This is according to data provided by international well-known analytical institutions” said Fu Tsun at a special briefing.
He stressed that the United States is well aware of this huge gap, both quantitatively and qualitatively, and intends to increase it.
“The United States is going to invest $ 500 billion in the next 10 years and 1.2 trillion in the next 30 years. Asking China to participate in the so-called tripartite talks is nothing more than an excuse to untie its hands to gain military dominance,” said diplomat.
At the same time, he emphasized that China’s refusal not to participate in these negotiations does not mean its withdrawal from the international nuclear disarmament process.
In China, called the condition for participation in the negotiations on nuclear weapons
China is ready to join the trilateral disarmament talks with the United States and Russia if Washington agrees to reduce its nuclear arsenal to the level of Beijing, director of the arms control department of the Chinese Foreign Ministry, Phu Tsun, said on Wednesday.
“We asked the United States: when you ask China to join the trilateral talks, what exactly do you mean? There are two ways to achieve parity in this matter: China will increase its nuclear arsenal to the level of the United States or you are ready to reduce it to our level. So far, the United States didn’t answer this question … If the United States says that they are ready to lower their level to the level of China, we will be happy to join the talks the next day,” Fu Tsun said at a briefing.
According to the diplomat, China understands that “this will not happen.”
He added that the PRC advocates that the United States and Russia extend the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty and, on its basis, continue to reduce their nuclear arsenal.
Russia thinks China is unlikely to change position on arms talks
There are no signs that China will soon change its position on non-participation in the US-Russia strategic stability talks, said Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov.
As Ryabkov noted in an online interview, there are no “any signs that China will reconsider this position in the near future.”
He noted that the United States has a link to a possible decision in favor of extending the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START-3) with the PRC joining future arms control negotiations.
“We believe that such a link is artificial, unproductive, we cannot influence Beijing’s position in any way. On the contrary, we declare that we treat Beijing’s well-known negative position regarding the invitation to join such negotiations, we fully understand, we see it’s the logic, and here, by and large, China will decide how to behave further,” Ryabkov emphasized.
Trump and Putin discuss arms control in a telephone conversation
Arms control was an important part of a telephone conversation with Russian President Vladimir Putin, US President Donald Trump said on April 14 during a briefing for journalists at the White House.
“We did talk about the arms. Yes, we did,” Trump told reporters from the podium when asked what was discussed between him and Putin on the subject of strategic security. “It was a very important part of the call actually”.
The President of the United States did not report any results of the discussion of this issue.
Recall that the leaders of Russia and the United States held three rounds of telephone calls in a week. Experts note that in many respects the agreement on a sharp reduction in oil production in the world was the result of telephone conversations between Putin and Trump.
“The big Oil Deal with OPEC Plus is done,” Trump posted to Twitter Easter Sunday. “This will save hundreds of thousands of energy jobs in the United States.”
“I would like to thank and congratulate President Putin of Russia and King Salman of Saudi Arabia. I just spoke to them from the Oval Office. Great deal for all!” the president praised.
Note, according to the message on the conversation of the leaders of the two countries on April 12, posted on the Kremlin’s website, the presidents discussed, among other things, “topical issues of ensuring strategic security”.
We also note that in February 2021, the treaty on the reduction of strategic offensive arms START-3 expires.
Trump added that he and Putin also discussed issues concerning China.
“I would say that basically we are talking about China, about their borders. We talked a little bit about our borders, on the border with Mexico, because Mexico plays a significant role in the [OPEC+] agreement. Mexico was a difficult issue for Mexico. This was not an easy agreement and we welcome some flexibility,” the president added.
BulgarianMilitary.com recalls that on February 7 the US President said that China should be part of the new arms control agreements.
Then, Kay Bailey Hutchinson, US Permanent Representative to the North Atlantic Alliance said taht China may have more missiles than Russia, so it should be part of the agreements. She noted that China has opportunities that put it at a higher level in matters of weapons of mass destruction.
The Strategic Offensive Arms Reduction Treaty (START-3), signed in 2010, remains the only current arms limitation treaty between Russia and the United States. The agreement expires in February 2021 until Washington announced whether it intends to renew it.
The US administration at various levels emphasizes the need to include China in negotiations to develop a new tripartite nuclear agreement between Russia, China and the United States.
In Beijing, this idea is rejected. Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov noted that Russia favors the extension of the START-3 treaty without preconditions.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay
Subscribe to Google News