WASHINGTON, (BM) – The United States will use all possible tools to extend the embargo on arms supplies to Iran, if the UN Security Council vetoes the relevant US draft resolution, warned US Special Representative for Iran on Iran Brian Hook, learned BulgarianMilitary.com citing Interfax.
“The arms embargo to the Iranian regime expires in October. It was introduced by the UN Security Council, but it is planned to be terminated due to a nuclear deal with Iran from 2015. This will allow the world’s largest sponsor state of terrorism and anti-Semitism to freely import and export, military planes, warships, submarines and guided missiles. To prevent this, the Security Council must adopt a resolution to extend the arms embargo. If this attempt is failed by veto, Trump’s administration is ready to use all the legally available options to extend the embargo,” says Hook’s article in the Wall Street Journal.
As reported, Washington has already prepared an appropriate draft Security Council resolution.
The diplomat noted that the United States and its partners used an arms embargo to prevent Iran’s “supply of advanced weapons to terrorists and militants.”
According to him, Tehran plans to “modernize the Iranian Air Force, increase the accuracy of its missiles, as well as increase its ability to strike ships and aircraft.”
“Iranian weapons have already endangered US and allied forces in the region and endangered Israel. If the arms embargo expired, it would be much easier for Iran to supply weapons to its allies in Syria, the Hamas group in Gaza and Shiite militants in Iraq”, says Hook.
He repeated: “One way or another, the US will ensure that it (the embargo – ed.) remains in force against the violent and revolutionary regime in Tehran.”
At the same time the Russian Permanent Representative to the UN Vasily Nebenzya said earlier that he sees no reason to extend the embargo on arms supplies to Iran at the Security Council.
“I see no reason why an arms embargo should be imposed on Iran. It expires on October 18, it was a temporary measure. And it is obvious to us,” Nebenzya told reporters during a video conference during a video conference.
The lifting of the embargo in October this year is envisaged by the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action for the Iranian Nuclear Program of 2015, from which President Donald Trump withdrew the United States after coming to power.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay
Subscribe to Google News