PANAGYURISHTE, (BM) – Your briefly report on November 16 in last twelve hours from BulgarianMilitary.com:
In ceasefire breach, rockets fired at Beersheba; IDF hits Hamas targets in Gaza
The Israel Defense Forces attacked Hamas terror targets in Gaza on Saturday morning after rockets were fired from the Strip into Israel several hours earlier, the army said in a statement.
Significantly, the army said it was targeting Hamas in the latest strike. During the this week’s fighting, Israel traded blows with the Islamic Jihad terrorist organization, while the Gaza-ruling Hamas terror group sat on the sidelines.
Palestinian security sources said the airstrikes hit two Hamas sites in the northern part of the Strip.
Earlier, two rockets were fired toward Beersheba in the predawn hours of Saturday morning in a fresh breach of a ceasefire agreement between Israel and Gaza terror groups.
Both projectiles were shot down by soldiers operating the Iron Dome missile defense system, the IDF said.
Ukraine detains Daesh’s deputy ‘Minister of War’
Ukraine’s security service said on Friday it had detained the deputy of Abu Omar al-Shishani, the man the Pentagon described as Daesh’s “minister of war”, after he crossed into Ukraine on a fake passport last year, reports Reuters.
The SBU security service said it had taken into custody Al Bara Shishani, a Georgian citizen, in a joint operation with Georgia’s Interior Ministry and the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
An SBU statement said an examination of a photograph of Al Bara Shishani in the agency’s possession “proved that the detained foreigner is indeed a wanted leader of Daesh”.
Georgia’s state security service confirmed Al Bara Shishani was being held in Ukraine. “Yes, we can confirm this fact … His (birth) name is Cezar Tokhosashvili,” said Vika Klimicheva, a spokeswoman for the state security service.
Trump asked Tokyo for $8 billion to keep U.S. troops in Japan – Foreign Policy
U.S. President Donald Trump has asked Japan to quadruple its payments for U.S. forces stationed there, Foreign Policy reported, citing unnamed current and former U.S. officials, as Washington presses long-standing allies to increase their defence spending.
Washington wants Tokyo to increase annual payments for the 54,000 U.S. troops in Japan to around $8 billion (£6.3 billion) from about $2 billion, Foreign Policy said, citing three unnamed former defence officials. The current agreement expires in March 2021.
The demand was made to Japanese officials during a trip to the region in July by John Bolton, at that time Trump’s national security adviser, and Matt Pottinger, who was then the Asia director for the National Security Council, Foreign Policy said.
A spokesman for the Japanese foreign ministry said the report by the U.S. global affairs publication is incorrect and no U.S.-Japan negotiations on a new agreement have taken place.
Representatives of the U.S. government were not immediately available to comment outside of business hours.
Many U.S. allies are coming under pressure on defence spending from Washington.
Trump has also insisted Seoul shoulder more of the cost of the U.S. military presence in South Korea, where it serves as deterrence against North Korea, and has floated the idea of pulling U.S. troops from the peninsula, Reuters reported on Wednesday.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay
Source: Reuters, MEMO, TTI