PANAGYURISHTE, (BM) – Your briefly report on August 21 in last twelve hours from BulgarianMilitary.com:
Japanese report to say North Korea has miniaturised nuclear warheads: newspaper
Japan has upgraded its estimate of North Korea’s nuclear weapons capability in an upcoming annual Defence White Paper, saying it seems Pyongyang has already achieved the miniaturisation of warheads, the Yomiuri newspaper said in an unsourced report on Wednesday, Reuters reported.
That compares with the assessment in last year’s report in which the government said it was possible North Korea had achieved miniaturisation, the Japanese daily said without citing sources.
The report, to be approved at a Cabinet meeting in mid-September, will maintain the assessment that North Korea’s military activities pose a “serious and imminent threat”, the Yomiuri said.
South Korea’s 2018 Defence White Paper, released in January, reported that North Korea’s ability to miniaturise nuclear weapons “appears to have reached a considerable level.”
According to South Korean media reports late last year, the South Korean intelligence agency told lawmakers that North Korea had continued to miniaturise nuclear warheads even after the Singapore summit between Trump and Kim in June 2018.
Egyptian security forces kill 11 suspected militants in Sinai
Egyptian security forces have killed 11 suspected militants in a gun battle during a raid on their hideout in Al-Arish, the capital of North Sinai province, the ministry of interior said on Tuesday, MEMO reported.
A ministry statement said the suspects used their hideout as a base to launch “hostile operations” and weapons and explosives were found at the scene.
The suspects were killed in a firefight, the ministry said without elaborating on their identity or whether there had been casualties among the security forces.
Egypt has long been fighting Islamist militants, who have waged an insurgency that has killed hundreds of soldiers, police, and residents, in the northern part of the Sinai Peninsula.
Sudan’s army and main opposition announce joint ruling body
Sudan’s pro-democracy movement and the army announced a joint ruling body on Tuesday, formally disbanding the military council that took power after the ouster of long-time autocrat Omar al-Bashir in April, France 24 reported.
The new, 11-member body, called the Sovereign Council, is to rule Sudan for a little over three years until elections can be held. An announcement about the council was delayed by two days because of last-minute, internal disputes over the opposition appointees.
The military and protest leaders signed the final power-sharing deal Saturday, following pressure from the United States and its Arab allies, amid growing concerns the political crisis could ignite a civil war.
Mass demonstrations initially erupted in Sudan in December over dire economic conditions but quickly turned into calls for al-Bashir to step down after three decades in power.
The military later overthrew the leader, but protesters have continued to take to the streets and demand a swift transition to civilian government, fearing the military could cling to power. The tortuous negotiations over the joint military and civilian council went on over the last few months despite a deadly security crackdown. At least 250 people have been killed protests began, according to organizers.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter.
Source: Reuters, MEMO, France 24