PANAGYURISHTE, (BM) – Your briefly report on July 31 in last twelve hours from BulgarianMilitary.com:
Chinese forces gathering at Hong Kong border, White House officials monitoring escalation
The White House is monitoring the sudden “congregation” of Chinese forces at the border with Hong Kong, according to reports, following another night of unrest and clashes between protesters and police, News.com.au reported.
A senior US official who briefed reporters on the condition of anonymity said a number of units had gathered, but it’s unclear if they are security police or part of China’s military, Bloomberg reports.
It comes as Beijing accused the United States of inciting the increasingly unruly protests in Hong Kong, which began two months ago over a proposed extradition bill that could see citizens sent to the mainland.
Since then, demonstrations have evolved into a statement against Beijing’s influence in the operation of the relatively autonomous region.
Bloomberg cites the White House official as saying the US is watching China’s mainland border manoeuvres. Reports of the gathering of forces has sparked panic among Hong Kong locals on social media.
North Korea fires multiple unidentified projectiles – South Korean military
North Korea fired multiple unidentified projectiles early on Wednesday, less than a week after firing two new short-range ballistic missiles, the South Korean military’s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said and Reuters reported.
The latest launches were from the Hodo peninsula on North Korea’s east coast, the same area from where last week’s were conducted, the JCS said in a statement. It said it was monitoring the situation in case of additional launches and maintaining a readiness posture.
North Korea test-fired two new short-range ballistic missiles on July 25, its first missile tests since leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump met in late June and agreed to revive stalled denuclearisation talks.
The White House, the Pentagon and the U.S. State Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Syria’s war: Idlib’s hospitals under attack, at least 14 killed
Syrian government air attacks have killed at least 14 civilians in Hama and Idlib provinces, Al Jazeera reported.
Activists say the government’s week-long aerial attacks have been the bloodiest in three months and seem deliberately aimed at health facilities in Syria, according to international aid agencies.
The Syrian government has made inroads into the rebel-held province of Idlib, but a three-way tussle between the Assad government, Turkey and Russia is complicating matters.
Al Jazeera’s Zeina Khodr reports from Hatay in southern Turkey near the Syrian border.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter.
Source: Reuters, News.com.au, Al Jazeera