SOFIA, (BM) – Your briefly report on June 26 in last eight hours from BulgarianMilitary.com news team:
Eleven dead in militant attack on security forces in Egypt’s Sinai – ministry
Seven Egyptian police officers and four militants were killed in a clash in the north of the Sinai Peninsula, Reuters reported.
The clash took place late on Tuesday when militants attacked forces stationed southwest of the city of Arish, the ministry said in a statement.
Islamic State claimed the attack, saying it had carried out simultaneous raids on military positions in Arish, according to a statement carried on the group’s Amaq news agency.
Security sources said the militants had used more than 10 four-wheel vehicles in coordinated attacks at four sites.
Egyptian security forces have been battling Islamist militants in the Sinai Peninsula for years and launched a counter-insurgency campaign in the area in February 2018.
Earlier this month militants attacked a checkpoint in North Sinai, an assault that left eight security personnel dead according to the interior ministry.
Afghanistan: US military says two service members killed
Two US service members have been killed in Afghanistan, the NATO-led Resolute Support mission said in a statement without providing details surrounding the circumstances of their deaths, AlJazeera reported.
The US military said the identities of the soldiers would not be released until their families had been notified.
The deaths were announced on Wednesday, a day after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made an unannounced visit to the Afghan capital Kabul, where he discussed ongoing peace efforts and security with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and senior politicians, including former president Hamid Karzai.
He said Washington was hopeful of a peace deal before September 1, ahead of the scheduled presidential election in Afghanistan on the 28th of that month.
More than 2,400 US service personnel have died in Afghanistan since the US-led coalition invaded in October 2001 to remove the Taliban and hunt down al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden following the September 11, 2001, attacks on the US.
US allocates $4 bln to build six storehouses for explosives in Ukraine
The United States will allocate $4 million to Ukraine to build six storehouses for explosive munitions as part of a new memorandum of understanding on Conventional Weapons Stockpile Management signed on Tuesday, the US Department of State has said, TASS reported.
“Today [on June 25], the United States and Ukraine signed a new memorandum of understanding on Conventional Weapons Stockpile Management. Signed by Assistant Secretary of State for Political-Military Affairs R. Clarke Cooper and Ukraine Ministry of Foreign Affairs Acting Director of the Directorate of International Security Ruslan Nimchynskyi, the memorandum sets out a $4 million U.S. contribution toward construction of six explosive storehouses over the next two years for the Ukrainian Ministry of Defense,” the Departmenet of State said in a statement.
“This project will enhance the safety and security of Ukraine’s munitions stockpiles, as well as advance Ukraine closer to its goal of meeting NATO and international standards for physical security and stockpile management,” the statement reads.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter.
Source: Reuters, TASS, AlJazeera