Is Turkey Delaying the S-400 Procurement Upon the Request of the U.S.? That’s Not Truth, Turkey said

ANKARA (BGM) – The delivery schedule for Russia’s S-400 missile defence systems to Turkey is continuing as planned, Turkish Foreign Ministry spokesman Hami Aksoy said on Friday, dismissing reports that Ankara was evaluating a delay in response to U.S. concerns, learned BulgarianMilitary.com, quoting Reuters.

Turkey’s purchase of the Russian systems has strained its already tense ties with the United States, a NATO ally, which says the S-400s are not compatible with the alliance’s defence network and pose a threat to F-35 stealth fighter jets which Turkey is due to receive.

Read more: CEO of Lockheed: We’ll Be Fine if Ankara Buys The Russian S-400 Instead of Our Jets

Ankara has since proposed forming a working group to assess the U.S. concerns, but has yet to hear back from Washington on that proposal. The United States has warned of sanctions if Turkey presses ahead with the deal.

Turkey has said that as a NATO member it poses no threat to the United States and the sanctions should not apply.

On Monday, broadcaster Haberturk quoted Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar as saying that the delivery of the S-400s may not happen in June, when Turkey previously said the missiles could arrive, but added the agreement was a done deal.

Aksoy said that procurement of the S-400 systems was continuing as scheduled and the working group offer was still on the table.

Read more: The United States Has Given Turkey Two Weeks to Abandon the Russian S-400 Missile Systems

“Reports in some media outlets about Turkey evaluating delaying the S-400 procurement upon the request of the United States do not reflect the truth,” he said in a statement. “The process of procuring S-400s from Russia is continuing as planned.”

Objecting to the purchase, the United States in late March halted delivery of equipment related to the F-35 to Turkey, which is both a buyer and a production partner in the programme. The move was the first concrete step of what could eventually be the full removal of Turkey from the F-35 programme.

On Tuesday, sources told Reuters that the United States was seriously considering suspending training for Turkish pilots on the Lockheed Martin F-35 jets over Ankara’s decision to continue with the S-400 deal.

Read more: Turkey Is Ready for S-400 Delivery

The following day, Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan and U.S. President Donald Trump agreed to meet on the sidelines of a G20 meeting in Japan next month, the Turkish presidency said, adding that Erdogan had reiterated Turkey’s working group offer during their phone call.

Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter.

>>Be a reporter: Write and send your article.<<

BulgarianMilitary.com
Editorial team
Source: Reuters

Balkans Defence newsS-400TurkeyTurkish defence newsTurkish F35 DealUSA