WASHINGTON, (BGM) – The U.S. military on Friday accused Iran’s Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) of being directly responsible for attacks on tankers off the United Arab Emirates earlier this month, describing it as part of a “campaign” by Tehran driving new U.S. deployments, learned BulgarianMilitary.com.
“The attack against the shipping in Fujairah we attribute it to the IRGC,” said Rear Admiral Michael Gilday, the director of the Joint Staff, adding the Pentagon attributed limpet mines used in the attack to the IRGC. He declined to describe “the means of delivery” of the mines.
“We wanted to take time today to make sure you understand the decision the secretary has made this morning. In specific, in response to credible intelligence that we see that Iran continues to plan for attacks by itself and its proxies against the United States, its forces and our allies and partners in the region, the acting secretary of defense has approved a request from the CENTCOM combatant commander for additional forces and capabilities in the region”, said Katie Wheelbarger, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs.
“Over the coming weeks we will flow additional intelligence surveillance, air reconnaissance capabilities, as well as force protection engineering and aviation units to the region. These assets include a compliment of manned and unmanned platforms to collect intelligence and track Iranian cruise missiles, UAVs, and aircraft. A Patriot battalion to defend against any missile threats, an engineer element to provide force protection improvements throughout the region. And a fighter squadron — and a fighter aircraft squadron to provide additional depth to our aviation response options. All together this amounts to approximately 1,500 troops in the region, while we do not seek conflict with Iran we are determined to protect our forces and interests in the region from attack”, also explained Rear Admiral Michael Gilday.
As we reported early this mont, Washington will take actions to prevent a presumable threat by Iran in the Middle East, sending additional military forces to the region.
BulgarianMilitary.com recalls that on May 5 the Assistant to the US President for National Security Affairs (APNSA) John Bolton said that the United States sent to the Middle East the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier to be a warning to the Iranian government. In addition to the aircraft carrier, a tactical group of bombers was also sent to the area of responsibility of the US Air Forces Central Command. The area in question mainly includes territories from the Middle East and North Africa.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter.
Source: Reuters, U.S. Department of Defense