WASHINGTON, the USA (BulgarianMilitary.com) — On Monday (10th December 2018), a senior commander in the Revolutionary Guard Corps of Iran revealed that Tehran can expand the range of its missiles beyond the present limit of 2,000 km, learned BulgarianMilitary.com
As reported by the Fars news agency, Brig. Gen. Amir Ali Hajizadeh, IRGC Aerospace Force commander, said, “We have the capability to build missiles with higher ranges. The number 2,000 km is not a divine decree … what has been decided until today is based on our needs.”
Brig. Gen. Amir Ali Hajizadeh also underlined that lots of the “enemy bases” were situated 300 to 800 km from the borders of the country.
Earlier this month, on 1st December, the U.S. Secretary of State Michael Richard Pompeo (Mike Pompeo) accused Iran of test-firing a medium-range ballistic missile that is capable of carrying “multiple warheads,” which is a breach of the United Nations Security Council Resolution 2231. According to Pompeo, the missile “allows it to strike parts of Europe and anywhere in the Middle East.”
The above issue was discussed subsequently by the U.N. Security Council behind closed doors without taking measures. Britain’s U.N. ambassador, Karen Pierce, however, unveiled in front of reporters afterward that members had expressed “a lot of concern” in regard with the test launch. According to her, the actions of Iran were “inconsistent” with the resolution and “part and parcel of Iran’s destabilizing activity in the region.”
Pierce commented, “If you wanted to demonstrate to the international community that you were a responsible member of it and you were genuinely interested in regional peace and security, these are not the sorts of missiles you would be test launching.”
Recently, Jim Mattis, the U.S. Defence Secretary, said that “right now the strategic level of threat from Iran is less worldwide than (North) Korea’s, but it is certainly significant regionally, and it could grow beyond that if it’s not dealt with.”
In response to the above statements, the Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif told reporters after a cabinet session in Tehran on 5th December 2018 that the UN document does not ban Tehran’s missile activities.
He said, “What has been obvious and acknowledged by the Americans themselves both in the current administration and the previous one is that neither the JCPOA (the Iran nuclear deal, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action) nor (UN Security Council) Resolution 2231 ban Iran’s missile activities.”
Resolution 2231 was approved by the UNSC in July 2015 for endorsing the JCPOA. It terminated the provisions of previous UNSC resolutions against Iran, some of which had imposed restrictions on the missile activities of the country. Such activities, however, are not prohibited under Resolution 2231, which just calls on Iran “to refrain from any activity related to ballistic missiles designed to be capable of delivering nuclear weapons.”
In that relation, the Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said that Iran was not seeking nuclear capable missiles as it did not pursue a nuclear weapons program.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Google+ pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter.
Source: DefenseNews, Press TV