Morocco wants combat control systems with Link 16, US agrees
WASHINGTON — The US has approved the potential delivery of ground-based command and control systems and related equipment to Morocco. The total sale price could be $141.1 million.
- US maneuver with sale of F-16s to Morocco pushes Algeria to buy Russian Su-57
- Morocco acquires UAE Mirage 2000 fighters completely free of charge
- Israel provides Morocco with Barak SAMs with up to 150 km range
The Moroccan government has requested from the United States the possibility of acquiring six Joint Tactical Radio Systems for the Multipurpose Information Dissemination System [MIDS-JTRS].
The MIDS-JTRS is a four-channel programmable radio that provides Link 16 and Tactical Air Navigation System [TACAN] functionality on one channel, plus three additional channels supporting extended JTRS network signals in the 2 MHz to 2 GHz frequency range, including Airborne Networking Form of the wave [ANW].
It includes additional features compared to its predecessor, the MIDS Information System [LVT]. A MIDS is a tactical communications system that combines various types of information platforms into a common tactical data network. According to STANAG 5516, the Link 16 protocol is defined as one of the MIDS digital services.
Link 16 is a type of military tactical data exchange network. Used by the US and NATO countries. It is one of the components of the TADIL [Tactical Digital Information Link] family of tactical data transmission networks.
What more does Morocco want?
Morocco’s request also includes:
- KY-100M narrowband/broadband terminals;
- cryptographic applications KIV-78 and KIV-77;
- simple key loaders AN/PYQ-10 [portable handheld device for safe reception, storage, and transmission of data];
- additional secure means of communication, cryptographic devices, and high-precision navigation equipment;
- unclassified and classified software, software, and supporting hardware;
- spare parts and aggregates;
- auxiliary and testing equipment;
- technical documentation;
- training services and training equipment;
- US Government and contractor engineering, technical, and logistics support, and other related program support and logistics elements.
As stated, the implementation of this program is in the foreign policy and national security interests of the United States and will enable the strengthening of the security of a non-NATO ally in North Africa.
The announcement emphasized that the proposed sale will improve the capabilities of the Moroccan armed forces to counter existing and emerging threats by providing early intelligence gathering, surveillance, and reconnaissance.
General Atomic Aeronautical Systems Inc., Lockheed Martin Inc., and Raytheon Inc. were selected as prime contractors for the program. and Leonardo SpA. The buyer will usually require an offset program to accompany the contracts, the terms of which will be negotiated between the buyer and the contractor.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news, follow our Google News, YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Subscribe to our Newsletter and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay. Our standards: Manifesto & ethical princliples.