Russia: US DCM expelled, US troops in Europe to be withdrawn
MOSCOW, ($1=76.17 Russian Rubles) — US Deputy Ambassador [deputy chief of mission – DCM] to Moscow Bart Gorman is due to leave the country after Russia decided on February 17, BulgarianMilitary.com has learned, citing Russia’s Izvestia and RIA Novosti. Russian media quoted Jason Rebholz, spokesman for the US diplomatic mission in Russia, as saying.
- Russia deployed 203mm howitzer firing nuclear 3BV2 shells up to 37km
- Russia returns troops, Putin asks at what time the war begins
- MiG-31K with installed Kinzhal hypersonic missile lands in Kaliningrad
“Russia has expelled Bart Gorman, the deputy head of the US mission in Russia. Gorman was the second most important official at the US Embassy in Moscow after the ambassador and a key member of the embassy’s top management”, Rebholtz said in a statement.
On December 1, Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova announced that US embassy staff members who have been in Moscow for more than three years must leave the country in 2022. She stressed that such a decision is not a choice of the Russian side. According to Zakharova, this game was imposed on Russia by the United States.
The expulsion of the second most important person at the US embassy comes hours after US Ambassador John Sullivan was summoned to the Russian Foreign Ministry earlier in the day. The reason for his visit was an official response from the Russian Federation on the Russian draft agreement between the Russian Federation and the United States on security guarantees.
According to Russian sources familiar with the draft of the new security guarantees requested by Russia, Moscow wants all US troops to be withdrawn from Europe. Here is what Russia wants:
- The United States should not have ground-based missile systems and armed forces on the territory of Ukraine.
- Measures to reduce nuclear risks and timely notification of exercises
- Measures to prevent accidents at sea and by air
- Refusal to deploy Tomahawk cruise missiles in Poland and Romania
- Refusal to deploy armed forces in Europe
- Control over medium-range and long-range missiles
- New parameters for the START-3 nuclear deal
- Principles of mutual safety
BulgariaMilitary.com reminds us that at the beginning of this year Russia again asked for the same things from the USA and NATO, but was refused on January 26. According to Vladimir Putin and the Russian government, Washington and Brussels are not honoring the OSCE’s commitment to the indivisibility of security. “The United States and NATO are defending their interests to the detriment of others,” according to several press releases from the Russian Foreign Ministry so far.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news, follow our Google News, YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Subscribe to our Newsletter and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay. Our standards: Manifesto & ethical princliples.