US has no interest in escalating tensions in Iraq or Syria
WASHINGTON, BM – As we reported yesterday, a US base in the Syrian region of Deir Ez-Zor was attacked by a missile attack, and according to the Pentagon, those responsible for this attack are Iranian-backed militias in the area. Spokesperson of Operation Inherent Resolve Col. Wayne Marotto confirmed the attack. “Forces in Syria, while under multiple rocket attacks, acted in self-defense and conducted counter-battery artillery fire at rocket launching positions,” he tweeted.
- War in Syria: Who controls what and what happens
- BulgarianMilitary.com 24/7 – What is happening in Iraq?
At a Pentagon briefing on June 29, spokesman John F. Kirby answered questions about the attack, as well as the US government’s intentions for Iraq. No US troops were injured in the attack, but two buildings at the base were damaged, Kirby said.
The US investigators at the Syrian military base are still assessing the damage, but all available personnel is on hand and combat-ready. Kirby had to give that answer because a journalist at the briefing asked him if the case from last year in Al Assad would not be repeated when the United States initially said there were no injuries, and later 100 soldiers were brain injured.
Indirectly, Kirby confirmed that the attack on US troops was the result of US airstrikes hours earlier on Iranian-backed militias in the border areas of Iraq and Syria.
Attacks on the US bases in Iraq and Syria have been on the rise since the beginning of the year. Some experts suggest that this could change the mood at the Pentagon and lead to large-scale military operations in the two territories. John F. Kirby, however, denied such concerns.
“Nobody is interested in escalating tensions. Nobody is interested in further violence in Iraq or Syria. Our troops are there at the request of the Iraqi government to help them in their fight against ISIS, which is still a relevant mission. And so and it’s all about, the whole purpose of us being there is all about helping protect the Iraqi people and our national security interests. So, we have no interest in having this escalate into some sort of broader conflict. But we do have a responsibility to protect our people and our facilities. And that is what the president ordered over the weekend,” was the press secretary’s comment on the matter.
Whether the Pentagon will take additional safeguards by sending more US troops and military equipment to Syria and Iraq Kirby declined to say, saying such decisions are not generally public, but the United States will do everything possible to protect and guarantee personnel in these two territories.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news, follow our Google News, YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Subscribe to our Newsletter and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay. Our standards: Manifesto & ethical princliples