Subscribe to Google News

Iranian air defense shot down an Azerbaijani fighter jet, sources claims

TEHRAN, (BM) – In the last hours of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, it became clear that the Azerbaijani Air Force had lost a fighter jet that had been shot down and fallen on Iranian territory, he had learned BulgarianMilitary.com.

Read more: BulgarianMilitary.com 24/7 – All about Nagorno-Karabakh conflict

According to Iranian sources, the Iranian air defense shot down the Azerbaijani fighter without warning, but by direct fire.

An Iranian source told the Russian news agency Avia.pro that the Azerbaijani fighter had violated the airspace of the country. “We warned Aliyev, now Baku has one less plane,” the source said.

According to Russian media, this is not a fighter, but an attacking helicopter that was shot down over Nagorno-Karabakh, but fell into Iranian territory due to the proximity of the incident to the Iranian border.

The military in Azerbaijan has so far not provided additional information about the incident, as well as any official comment on it, but it seems that Baku has already lost a total of nine planes.

Earlier, Iran warned Azerbaijan and Turkey

In a telephone conversation with Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan, which took place the evening before, September 30, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani stressed the need to maintain peace, security and stability in the region.

The head of the Iranian government [the posts of president and prime minister in the Islamic Republic are combined. – Ed.] Also indicated that any external interference in the Karabakh conflict will aggravate it, reports the Mehr news agency.

Rouhani stressed the need to find a solution that would put an end to the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan within the framework of international law and the territorial integrity of both countries. Pointing out that war is certainly not a solution to problems and disputes, the Iranian President said:

“It is important for us to stop this [armed] conflict, and we expect that the two countries, Armenia and Azerbaijan, will show tact and restraint in this matter.”

Earlier, representatives of official Tehran said that Iran would not allow the deployment of terrorists near its northern border. Thus, in the opinion of observers, the Iranian side reacted to reports coming from the region of the armed conflict about the transfer of Syrian mercenaries by Turkey to Azerbaijan for their participation in the hostilities in Karabakh.

Iran is the only state that has a direct border with all three sides of the Karabakh conflict – Azerbaijan, Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh.

The situation in Nagorno-Karabakh escalated on September 27, active clashes are taking place in the disputed territory. Martial law was introduced in Azerbaijan and Armenia, and mobilization was announced. Both sides reported killed and wounded, including civilians. In Baku, they announced the control of several Karabakh villages and strategic heights. Yerevan also reports about the shelling of the territory of Armenia.

Nagorno-Karabakh conflict

Azerbaijan and Armenia have been in conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh since February 1988, when the Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Region announced its withdrawal from the Azerbaijan SSR.

During the armed conflict in 1992-1994, the Azerbaijani side lost control of Nagorno-Karabakh and the seven areas adjacent to it. Since 1992, negotiations have been conducted within the framework of the OSCE Minsk Group on a peaceful settlement of the conflict. The group is led by co-chairs – Russia, USA and France.

In 1994, Azerbaijan, Armenia and the unrecognized Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, through the mediation of Russia, signed the Bishkek Armistice Protocol. At the same time, military operations did not stop there, which periodically renewed.

The most significant exacerbation of the conflict was the four-day war of 2016. Then hundreds of soldiers on both sides became victims.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, during a meeting with the President of Azerbaijan last year, called for a rhetoric that would go against the fundamental principles endorsed by both sides and enshrined in the UN Charter and the Helsinki Final Act when resolving the situation around Nagorno-Karabakh.

At the same time, the head of the Russian Foreign Ministry admitted that much more needs to be done to achieve a long-term political settlement.

***

Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay.

Subscribe to Google News

>>Be a reporter: Write and send your article.<<

BulgarianMilitary.com
Editorial team

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More