Downed helicopter and destroyed missile systems in Nagorno-Karabakh, US warned its citizens
BAKU, (BM) – Tensions between Armenia and Azerbaijan escalated again on September 27 after the Ministry of Defense of Azerbaijan issued a special press release stating that the forces of the Azerbaijani army are launching a counter-offensive operation on the entire Nagorno-Karabakh front, learned BulgarianMilitary.com.
“The troops of the Azerbaijani army have launched a counter-offensive operation on the entire front,” the republic’s defense ministry said.
The official opinion of the Ministry of Defense is that military actions of the Armenian military units are being observed and that is why the Azeris have taken actions to repel and suppress them.
What is known so far is that the Azerbaijani army has positioned tank and artillery units, frontline aircraft, as well as unmanned aerial vehicles in the region. According to the Minister of Defense, all these units are taking an active part in the offensive operation.
According to a statement from the Azerbaijani military, about 12 Russian-made Osa anti-aircraft missile systems have been destroyed so far, but at the same time the Azeris have lost a combat helicopter believed to have been shot down by the Armenian military.
Under these circumstances, Washington, with the assistance of the embassies in Azerbaijan and Armenia, issued a special press release warning US citizens and their families to limit their travel on the border between the two countries.
“The US Embassy in Baku advises employees and their families not to travel outside the Absheron Peninsula. US citizens in Azerbaijan are encouraged to continue following local news. The embassy calls on US citizens to pay extra attention in public and to avoid any public demonstrations,” said embassy officials in the Azerbaijani capital.
Military analysts and diplomats from the US diplomatic mission announced that they continue to monitor and analyze what is happening at the border and will provide additional information if necessary.
Russia delivered 400 tons of weapons and missile systems to Armenia against Turks and Azeris
Russia has the most modern weapons in Armenia to thwart the ambitious plans of Turkey and Azerbaijan, while Ankara has managed to open a new front in the post-Mediterranean region.
According to Pentapostagma, since mid-July, Russian transport planes have made a number of covert flights to Armenia, carrying about 400 tonnes of military cargo, as reported.
According to the data, we are talking about modern weapons, including air defense systems, radar for short, medium and long range, electronic suppression systems, long-range artillery systems, including the S-300 air defense system.
During a telephone conversation with Russian leader Vladimir Putin on August 12, Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev raised the issue of deliveries of more than 400 tons of military cargo, which have been carried out in Armenia since July 17.
He refers to a statement issued by the press service of the President of Azerbaijan: “After the clashes on the Armenian-Azerbaijani border, more than 400 tonnes of military cargo were delivered from Russia through the airspace of Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Iran to Armenia. The main purpose of the talks with Putin was to clarify the issue,” he said in a statement.
“In particular, Aliyev said that since July 17 there have been intensive military deliveries from Russia to Armenia and this issue raises serious concerns in Azerbaijan,” EA Daily reported.
Russian experts, for their part, draw attention to the fact that Armenia, unlike Azerbaijan, is a member of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO). Azerbaijan is in conflict with Russia and other CSTO members).
As a member of the CSTO, Armenia will receive all necessary assistance, including heavy weapons. In this context, the claims of the Azeris are completely unfounded, especially in the context of the ongoing attacks on Armenia.
It is known that the Turkish officers lead the Azeris and are inside the general headquarters of the country. Also under the pretext of conducting joint exercises, Turkey may transfer its weapons systems to the country and make them available to the Azerbaijani army. This fact clearly angered Moscow, and the response was not long in coming.
There is also unconfirmed information about the transfer of a Turkish special forces unit to Armenia, a country he apparently wants to subordinate to his plans.
The establishment of a Turkish base in Nakhichevan, an autonomous province of Azeri, is likely Ankara’s next step in escalating the situation on the “ribs” of the Caucasus as Chechen “friends” lurk for a new uprising against Russia.
Azerbaijan and Armenia have been in conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh since February 1988, when the Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Region announced its withdrawal from the Azerbaijan SSR.
During the armed conflict in 1992-1994, the Azerbaijani side lost control of Nagorno-Karabakh and the seven areas adjacent to it. Since 1992, negotiations have been conducted within the framework of the OSCE Minsk Group on a peaceful settlement of the conflict. The group is led by co-chairs – Russia, USA and France.
In 1994, Azerbaijan, Armenia and the unrecognized Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, through the mediation of Russia, signed the Bishkek Armistice Protocol. At the same time, military operations did not stop there, which periodically renewed.
The most significant exacerbation of the conflict was the four-day war of 2016. Then hundreds of soldiers on both sides became victims.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, during a meeting with the President of Azerbaijan last year, called for a rhetoric that would go against the fundamental principles endorsed by both sides and enshrined in the UN Charter and the Helsinki Final Act when resolving the situation around Nagorno-Karabakh.
At the same time, the head of the Russian Foreign Ministry admitted that much more needs to be done to achieve a long-term political settlement.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay
Subscribe to Google News