The Pentagon is deliberately ignoring and sabotaging US President Trump
WASHINGTON, (BM) – The US Department of Defense deliberately slows down the process of withdrawing part of the military contingent from Germany, which was previously announced by US President Donald Trump, learned BulgarianMilitary.com citing The Washington Post.
According to sources in the Pentagon, the “sabotage” of the withdrawal process is taking place against the backdrop of a deterioration in relations with the commander in chief. According to the newspaper, the American “generals actually ignore” the president’s instructions on this issue.
“No matter what you think about the specific aspects of the withdrawal of troops from Germany, there is nothing heroic in deliberately ignoring the expressed intentions of the president,” a source in the US administration told The Washington Post.
A similar process, the newspaper continues, is taking place with respect to the withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan. The White House intends to withdraw most of the – if not all – US troops from this Central Asian republic by the November elections. However, the Pentagon slows down this process, offering various options to achieve this goal.
The White House, according to interlocutors of The Washington Post, believes that Secretary of Defense Mark Esper and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the US Armed Forces, General Mark Milli, are deliberately using a policy of “bureaucratic intransigence” to prevent Trump. “If they really find the president’s desire to redeploy our forces so repulsive that they can’t survive this, they should act decently and resign,” the administration’s source said.
At the same time, according to the Politico newspaper, the US command “was taken aback by the decision to withdraw troops from Germany.”
The White House has some suggestions as to where troops from Germany will be redeployed. The newspaper received a letter from the Assistant American President for National Security, Robert O’Brien, dated June 12. It is addressed to a group of Republican lawmakers who object to Trump’s plans for the withdrawal of troops from Germany and believe that this move would supposedly benefit Russia.
“President Trump agrees with you that the threats from Russia have not diminished,” O’Brien argued. “Both our allies and our adversaries around the world should not see the prudent reassessment of forward bases in Germany as a weakening of the United States’ commitment to NATO or as a sign manifestations of a lack of vigilance against our opponents. “
The presidential aide explained that most of the troops will be redeployed to other countries in Europe and Asia, some will be able to return to their homeland. He warned that specific plans were “under development at the Pentagon,” indicating that the defense department had never sent them to the White House.
On Monday, June 15, Donald Trump announced that the United States intends to reduce the size of its military contingent in Germany to 25 thousand people if Germany does not pay for their deployment and does not repay NATO debts. The president also said that currently 52,000 US troops are permanently deployed in Germany, however, according to official figures, their number is 35,000.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay
Subscribe to Google News