Trump hasn’t notified Merkel of his plans to reduce US troops in Germany

BERLIN, (BM) – The US government did not notify the German authorities of the decision to reduce the number of US military deployed in Germany, which can be considered a provocation, the German newspaper Der Spiegel reported on June 6, citing its own sources, learned BulgarianMilitary.com.

Read more: Biden’s advisers: Germany’s renunciation of nuclear weapons will be ‘Putin’s victory’

Read more: Moscow would be pleased if Germany folds the US ‘nuclear umbrella’ in Europe

“We were informed that the US government did not inform, as usual, its NATO partner, Germany, about the decision to reduce the number of troops. Given the importance of this decision, one can regard it as provocation,” Der Spiegel noted in the publication.

According to the newspaper, by the fall of 2020, the Pentagon may reduce the US contingent in the Federal Republic of Germany by 15 thousand troops.

Earlier, on June 5, Reuters, referring to the words of a senior US official, announced the order of US President Donald Trump to reduce the US contingent in Germany by September. The official told Reuters that by the fall, units of 9.5 thousand military will be withdrawn from Germany.

Today, about 34.5 thousand military men from the American army are based in Germany. Polish President Andrzej Duda said on June 5 that part of the American troops withdrawn from Germany is planned to be relocated to Poland.

***

Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay

Subscribe to Google News

>>Be a reporter: Write and send your article.<<

BulgarianMilitary.com
Editorial team

DO YOU EVALUATE OUR REPORTING? WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT.

Dear reader,

BulgarianMilitary.com continues to be an objective and expert source of information in defense industry, military-political relations and military conflicts around the world.

Now more than ever, we need free and independent journalism. We believe that information shouldn't be behind a paid wall and we will continue to commit to keeping it free.

We know that our readers appreciate the content of BulgarianMilitary.com. In the last year, the indicators on our page have doubled. At the same time, the support of readers in the form of recurring monthly financial contributions provides continuous support for our work, which allows us to innovate.

We are more confident than ever in our role bridging media, policy, and the public. We thank you for your support.

Your recurring monthly financial contributions help us innovate for the future. Please, consider making a recurring contribution to BulgarianMilitary.com.