The army stays in Washington; Trump splits Americans, Mattis said
WASHINGTON, (BM) – US Secretary of Defense Mark Esper canceled the withdrawal from areas near the US capital of the military, which were deployed there for possible assistance in maintaining order in the light of the protests, learned BulgarianMilitary.com citing the AP.
The agency [AP] previously reported, citing sources, that the withdrawal of these military personnel has already begun. It noted that about 200 troops are expected to return to North Carolina within 24 hours, and the rest will be recalled to bases in the coming days where they were deployed earlier.
According to new data, Esper after visiting the White House ordered to suspend the process of withdrawal of military personnel. He had previously stated that he was opposed to having the military attracted to suppress riots. US President Donald Trump emphasized that he admits such an opportunity.
The agency noted that the US military has not yet been involved in the suppression of riots in Washington, although this possibility was considered. According to AP data, earlier this week, approximately 1.3 thousand troops arrived in the metropolitan area of Columbia to help maintain order.
They were mostly located at bases near Washington – in the states of Virginia and Maryland. About 1.7 thousand US National Guard soldiers from Indiana, Tennessee and South Carolina were also sent to Washington and its suburbs.
At the same time the former U.S. Secretary of Defense in the Donald Trump administration, Jim Mattis (from January 2017 to December 2018) criticized the president for breaking up protesters and alleging the possible use of the military to restore order. According to a retired general on Wednesday in The Atlantic magazine, Trump divides the country, and his actions are a mockery of the constitution.
“Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people — does not even pretend to try. Instead, he tries to divide us,” Mattis believes. “We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership “
US President Donald Trump hurried to accuse his future rival in the fight for the presidency of Joseph Biden for the fact that throughout his political career he has not made sufficient efforts to combat racism.
“He was here [in Washington] for 43 years, why didn’t he do anything?” Trump said in an interview with Newsmax TV on Wednesday. “I’ve been here only three and a half years, and he’s 43, 44 years. Eight years he served as vice president. He had enough time.”
Protests over the murder of unarmed George Floyd at the hands of police officers in Minneapolis swept across America. On Friday, they marched in many states of the country, with many protesters blocking federal highways demanding “justice and retaliation.”
Recall that the 46-year-old Floyd died on Monday after a white policeman threw him face down on the asphalt, sat on top, clasped his neck with his foot and held in this position for several minutes.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay
Subscribe to Google News