Subscribe to Google News

We should not allow a new arms race in the Middle East, Pompeo said

WASHINGTON, (BM) – US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo plans to refer to the provision of the Iranian nuclear program agreement, from which the US President Donald Trump’s administration withdrew in 2018 in an attempt to either extend the arms embargo to Iran or reintroduce even tougher United Nations (UN) sanctions, learned BulgarianMilitary.com citing The New York Times.

Read more: Pompeo and NATO’s chief discussed COVID-19 and Russian, Chinese misinformation

It is noted that the Secretary of State plans to take this path if the UN Security Council refuses to re-impose an arms embargo on Tehran, which expires this year.

Russia is expected to oppose the extension of the arms embargo.

Meanwhile, the publication reports, if the UN Security Council is not able to reintroduce an arms embargo, then the Trump administration’s step in calling for a 2015 deal will most likely be rejected by many US European allies, as Trump pulled the United States out of the Iranian deal in 2018. .

“We cannot allow the Islamic Republic of Iran to purchase conventional weapons in six months. President Obama should never have agreed to end the UN arms embargo. We are ready to use all our diplomatic capabilities to ensure that the arms embargo remains in the UN Security Council.” – said Pompeo publication.

Read more: US talked about plans to strike at Iran’s nuclear facilities

On Saturday, the US Secretary of State called on the UN Security Council to extend the arms embargo on Iran.

“The arms embargo on Iran, the leading sponsor of terrorism at the state level, will expire in six months. The UN Security Council must extend the embargo before Iran intensifies violence and begins a new arms race in the Middle East. The clock is ticking,” the Secretary of State wrote in his twitter.

He recalled that “last year, Iran fired rockets at its neighbors, mined and seized tankers, smuggled weapons into conflict zones, and shot down a passenger plane.”

“We can’t risk it so that Iran purchases even more advanced weapons and transfers its arsenals to irresponsible persons,” Pompeo emphasized.

Read more: A US secret assault program in Iraq has been unveiled by NYT

***

Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay

Subscribe to Google News

>>Be a reporter: Write and send your article.<<

BulgarianMilitary.com
Editorial team

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More