UAE and Syria tried to make a ‘military’ deal against Turkey
This is a comment post from a freelance journalist. The point of view expressed in this article is authorial and do not necessarily reflect BM`s editorial stance.
ABU DHABI, (BM) – The Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, Deputy Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Mohammed bin Zayed al-Nahyan, tried to convince Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to continue to attack Turkish troops in Idlib, despite the agreement reached between Russia and Turkey on March 5 in Moscow fire in the northwest of the Arab Republic.
In exchange for the consent of Damascus, the actual ruler of the UAE promised an impressive amount in US dollars. Such a sensational “exposure” was made by the Middle East Eye information and analytical portal (MEE, “Middle East Eye”, a pro-Tatar publication with headquarters in London).
Citing its “informed sources,” MEE claims that Prince Mohammed, the closest ally of his Saudi namesake and colleague of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, tried to “block” the Russian-Turkish ceasefire in Idlib and inspire Assad in exchange for a generous reward thought continue attacks on the Turkish contingent in Syrian territory.
A few days before the meeting of the presidents of Russia and Turkey on March 5 in Moscow, according to MEE, the ruler of the UAE sent his senior envoy Ali al-Shamsi to Damascus to discuss the deal with Assad. The prince offered the President of Syria $ 3 billion to resume the offensive on the last stronghold in the Arab Republic by militants supported by Ankara.
Assad “requested” $ 5 billion, allegedly agreed to $ 3 billion, with $ 250 million to be paid as an “advance”.
The discussion of the “deal” between the UAE and the SAR was held in absolute secrecy, but Prince Muhammad was still worried that the United States would become aware of this and a very expected reaction would follow from across the ocean.
The interlocutors of MEE dedicated the publication even to such details, a dedication in which could greatly inspire American foreign intelligence. Assad is said to have complained to al-Shamsi that
The “deal” was concluded, but Moscow became aware of it. President Vladimir Putin immediately sent Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu to Damascus to warn Assad about the consequences of the ceasefire in Idlib. “The message to Shoigu was clear: We do not want you to resume this offensive. Russia wants the ceasefire to go on,” said MEE sources, adding for more convincing evidence that “Putin was furious.”
However, by that time, the UAE had already paid Damascus an “advance” of $ 250 million and the “deal” was in mid-air.
The MEE’s publication indicates two main motives of Prince Mohammed to achieve reciprocity from Assad in the matter of continuing attacks against Ankara.
“Firstly, he sought to link Turkish forces in a long and bloody military conflict in the north of Syria … Secondly, he wanted to stretch the resources of the Turkish army to the extent required to divert its attention from Libya, where Ankara assists the Government of National Accord led by Faiz Saraj, who is fighting with a supported UAE and several other countries by the Libyan National Army under the command of Marshal Khalifa Haftar. This, according to the plan of Crown Prince Mohammed, would allow Haftar to take control of the Libyan capital Tripoli, where the pro-Turkish PNS is based,” concludes MEE.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay
Subscribe to Google News