There is no evidence that Russia has carried out the air strikes, Ankara said

ANKARA, (BM) – Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu acknowledged the absence of air strikes by the Russian Aerospace Forces against the Turkish military in Syria. His words on Saturday, February 29, leads the agency Anadolu, learned BulgarianMilitary.com.

Read more: BulgarianMilitary.com 24/7 – War in Syria: Who controls what and what happens

Read more: Here are the reasons why NATO cannot help Turkey in Syria

According to the Minister, attacks on the positions of Turkish military personnel and settlements on the territory of Syria are carried out by the forces of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his allies. “However, it cannot be said that the Russian Air Forces are attacking the Turkish military,” Cavusoglu emphasized.

He also added that Moscow and Ankara are currently making joint efforts to de-escalate the situation in Syrian Idlib, but real progress can be expected only after the meeting of the presidents of the two countries – Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Vladimir Putin.

On the night of February 28, the Turkish army attacked the positions of the Syrian army in Idlib and destroyed a convoy of government troops. The attack was a response to the shelling of Turkish troops in the Jebel al-Zawiya region, which killed 33 troops. Turkey promised to avenge Syrian President Bashar al-Assad for the deaths of soldiers.

The Russian Defense Ministry said that the Syrian side, without the support of the Russian Air Force, attacked the positions of militants who tried to launch an offensive on a wide front. At the same time, the Turkish military came under fire in the area of ​​the settlement of Behun, although according to the coordinates transferred to the Russian side they “were not there and should not be there.”

As a result of the offensive in January-February, the Syrian army occupied almost half of the Idlib de-escalation zone and left behind Turkish observation posts. This outraged Ankara, and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that if by the end of February the Syrian troops are not withdrawn from the line of posts, the Turkish army will begin a military operation.

***

Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay

Subscribe to Google News

>>Be a reporter: Write and send your article.<<

BulgarianMilitary.com
Editorial team / Lenta.ru

DO YOU EVALUATE OUR REPORTING? WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT.

Dear reader,

BulgarianMilitary.com continues to be an objective and expert source of information in defense industry, military-political relations and military conflicts around the world.

Now more than ever, we need free and independent journalism. We believe that information shouldn't be behind a paid wall and we will continue to commit to keeping it free.

We know that our readers appreciate the content of BulgarianMilitary.com. In the last year, the indicators on our page have doubled. At the same time, the support of readers in the form of recurring monthly financial contributions provides continuous support for our work, which allows us to innovate.

We are more confident than ever in our role bridging media, policy, and the public. We thank you for your support.

Your recurring monthly financial contributions help us innovate for the future. Please, consider making a recurring contribution to BulgarianMilitary.com.
Comments
Loading...