17 nations invest $314M in modernization of Patriot air and missile defense system
WASHINGTON, (BM) – Raytheon is enhancing the combat-proven Patriot™ Air and Missile Defense System under a $314 million task order for engineering services from the U.S. Army, awarded on January 30, learned BulgarianMilitary.com citing Raytheon’s statement.
The task order is funded by the 17 nations that rely on Patriot for integrated air and missile defense. This is the third of five annual, indefinite delivery/indefinite quantity task order awards with a total contract ceiling of more than $2.3 billion.
“These modernization efforts ensure Patriot continues to outpace the advancing and proliferating threat, and will be ready when needed,” said Tom Laliberty, vice president of Integrated Air and Missile Defense at Raytheon’s Integrated Defense Systems business. “The 17-nation Patriot partnership shares the cost and reaps the benefit of continued investment in the system.”
Under the task order, Raytheon is providing comprehensive engineering services including systems, software and hardware development, integration and test services, configuration management and logistics support. Additionally, many of the project results will be incorporated into Patriot Post Deployment Build 8.1, a series of software and hardware capabilities, including:
- New cutting edge methods to search, detect, track, discriminate, engage, and defeat a wide range of evolving threats including tactical ballistic missiles, cruise missiles, and military aircraft.
- Integrating Warfighter Machine Interface into Patriot. WMI provides a total view of that battlespace, with 3-D visuals, easy-to-read status pages and search functions.
As part of the contract, Raytheon is also:
- Enhancing the resilience of Patriot against evolving cyber threats
- Developing solutions that enhance readiness and reduce life cycle costs by making the system more reliable.
- Replacing obsolete parts of Patriot’s communications system, enabling Patriot to reliably operate until the U.S. Army’s new Integrated Air and Missile Defense command and control system comes on-line.
Raytheon’s Global Patriot Solutions is the most advanced, tactical air and missile defense system in the world, providing protection against a full range of advanced threats, including aircraft, tactical ballistic missiles, cruise missiles and unmanned aerial vehicles.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay
Subscribe to Google News
Editorial team / Raytheon