Subscribe to Google News

Russia: the US steals the oil wealth of Syrian people

MOSCOW, (BM) – The sanctions imposed on Syria and the abduction of the country’s oil resources by the United States impede the full restoration of peaceful life in the republic.

Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said this on Tuesday following the results of talks in the 2 + 2 format of the foreign ministers and defense ministers of the Russian Federation and Italy, learned BulgarianMilitary.com.

Read more: BulgarianMilitary.com 24/7 – War in Syria: Who controls what and what happens

“On the one hand, oil-producing fields are controlled by the United States. There is a blatant plunder of riches that belong to the Syrian people. On the other hand, the import of oil into the country is forbidden … Most of the Syrian territory needs heat, hot water, and electricity. All this is taken from hydrocarbons that are forbidden to be delivered there,” he said.

Earlier in the Russian Defense Ministry stated that the United States smuggled Syrian oil to other countries, and the caravans are protected by US private military companies and special forces.

According to US Special Representative for Syria James Jeffrey, their presence in the region is legal, and Washington wants to ensure that oil facilities in the northeast of the republic do not fall into the hands of terrorists. At the end of November 2019, Jeffrey stated that “oil, according to the Syrian constitution, belongs to the Syrian people.”

Shoigu also added that the United States had not fulfilled its promise to rebuild the city of Raqqa, which was badly damaged by their carpet bombing.

“Everyone remembers the bombing and the destruction of a city such as Raqqa. At the time, the US was told that they would restore Raqqa, to allocate funds. Today, the city has not even started demining. The city has been waiting for a mine action evaluation mission for two years,” he said.

According to the Minister of Defense, more than 50 civilians are killed there every month from mines.

Read more: BulgarianMilitary.com 24/7 – latest Libyan civil war news

Raqqa’s assault, which was the unofficial capital of the Islamic State terrorist group (IG, banned in the Russian Federation), began on June 6, 2017. It was led by units of the armed opposition “Syrian Democratic Forces”, supported by air from the US-led Coalition Air Force.

A group of US special forces deployed from neighboring Iraq took part in the combat operations. The completion of the liberation of the city was announced on October 20, 2017. During the fighting, Raqqi’s housing stock was destroyed by 80%.

Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay

Subscribe to Google News

>>Be a reporter: Write and send your article.<<

BulgarianMilitary.com
Editorial team
/ TASS

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More