Haftar’s forces hit an airport; Bombs in Gaza Strip; Turkey has send more vehicles in Syria
PANAGYURISHTE, (BM) – Your briefly report on February 8 in last twelve hours from BulgarianMilitary.com:
Libya: Haftar forces target Tripoli’s Mitiga Airport
Militias loyal to renegade Libyan general Khalifa Haftar targeted the only international airport in the country’s capital Tripoli on Friday, Anadolu reports.
In a statement, the Government of National Accord (GNA) said Mitiga Airport — open to civilian use — was hit by missiles. It was temporarily closed for a short time immediately after the attack, but has now resumed flights.
The airport had only recently reopened after flights had been suspended when Haftar declared Tripoli and surrounding areas a “no-fly zone,” threatening to down any aircraft.
Since early April, forces loyal to Haftar have been launching a campaign to capture Tripoli from forces of the GNA, Libya’s UN-recognized government.
Clashes between the two sides since then have left more than 1,000 people dead and about 5,500 wounded, according to the World Health Organization.
Palestinians in Gaza launch balloons carrying RPG warhead into Israel
Palestinians in the Gaza Strip on Friday launched what appeared to be the warhead from a rocket-propelled grenade attached to balloons into southern Israel on Friday.
The suspected explosive was discovered in a field by Kibbutz Ruhama, northwest of Gaza and police sappers were called to inspect the RPG warhead, according to Hebrew media.
It was the sixth suspected airborne explosive device apparently launched from Gaza to be found in the south on Friday.
In one of the instances, Route 3 in the south of the country was temporarily closed while sappers dealt with a suspicious object that appeared to have become detached from balloons.
There were no reports of injuries or damage. Police called on the public to alert authorities to any suspicious-looking objects and refrain from approaching them.
Turkey bolsters Idlib outposts as Syrian gov’t forces make gains
Turkey has sent nearly 150 vehicles with commandos and ammunition to reinforce its 12 observation posts in Idlib, Syria’s last rebel-held region, according to Turkish state news agency Anadolu.
The entry of the Turkish convoy, at least the second in a week, on Friday followed an increase in fighting in northwestern Idlib province and a rare deadly clash between Turkish and Syrian government forces.
The development also came a day before Russian officials arrive in Turkey for talks over the situation in Idlib.
Turkey says nine of its outposts set up under a 2018 deal with Russia – all in the southeastern part of the region – have now been encircled by the Syrian army, according to Al Jazeera’s Sinem Koseoglu.
Koseoglu, reporting from Syria’s Bab Al Hawa near the Turkish border, said Ankara is determined to keep the positions.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay
Source: MEMO, TTI, Al Jazeera