Russia’s warship fires missiles; Syrian army suffers losses; Potential injuries of US troops
PANAGYURISHTE, (BM) – Your briefly report on January 23 in last twelve hours from BulgarianMilitary.com:
Russian Black Sea Fleet warship fires Kalibr cruise missiles during drills
The crew of the Black Sea Fleet’s small missile ship Vyshny Volochyok held drills to practice employing the Kalibr-NK cruise missile system, the Fleet’s press office reported on Thursday.
“During the training exercise, the personnel of the missile and artillery combat unit of the small missile ship Vyshny Volochyok practiced the algorithm of operations to conduct electronic launches against a surface target,” the press office said in a statement.
Under the drills’ scenario, the ship’s crew thwarted a notional enemy’s air attack, employing the AK-630M-2 ‘Duet’ anti-aircraft artillery system and delivering a retaliatory strike by electronically launching the Kalibr-NK missile system, the statement says.
The training exercise was held at the permanent base of the Black Sea Fleet’s ships. The drills were conducted in accordance with the Fleet’s combat training plan, the press office specified.
Russia says Syrian army suffers losses, retreats after Idlib attack
Hundreds of Syrian militants have launched attacks against government forces in several parts of Syria’s Idlib province, killing up to 40 Syrian soldiers, the Russian Defence Ministry said on Thursday.
The militants had seized two settlements in one of the offensives, the ministry said, saying Syrian army troops had been forced to abandon some of their positions in the southeast of the so-called Idlib de-escalation zone under rocket fire.
Idlib is the last rebel-held swathe of territory in the country and hundreds of thousands of people in the area have fled in recent weeks amid heavy air strikes by Russian and Syrian forces.
Russia, which is helping President Bashar al-Assad’s forces, said Syrian government forces had killed up to 50 militants and wounded up to 90 attackers.
The attacks began on Wednesday, it said, saying some fighting was still going on. About 40 soldiers had been killed and up to 80 wounded.
More US troops leave Iraq over potential injuries as Trump downplays brain risk
US President Donald Trump on Wednesday said he did not consider the brain injuries suffered by 11 US service members in Iran’s recent attack on a base in Iraq to be serious, as the American military moved more troops out of the region for potential injuries, Reuters reports.
In a statement on Wednesday, US Central Command said that more troops had been flown out of Iraq to Germany for medical evaluations following Iran’s Jan. 8 missile attack on the base where US forces were stationed after announcing the 11 injuries last week.
Further injuries may be identified in the future, it added, without giving further details.
A US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said about a dozen troops were being transported to Germany.
Trump and other top officials initially said Iran’s attack had not killed or injured any US service members before the Pentagon reversed course on Thursday, saying 11 US troops had been treated for concussion symptoms after the attack on the Ain al-Asad air base in western Iraq.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay
Source: TASS, Reuters, MEMO