Russia with new nuclear submarine; Car bomb attack in Syria; Esper’s statement for Iran
PANAGYURISHTE, (BM) – Your briefly report on January 9 in last six hours from BulgarianMilitary.com:
Nuclear submarine “Kazan” will be transferred to the Navy in the fall of 2020
The head nuclear submarine of the improved project 885M (Yasen-M) Kazan will be transferred to the Russian Navy in September-October 2020. This was reported to reporters by the head of the United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC) Alexei Rakhmanov.
“September-October,” Rakhmanov said, answering the corresponding question.
Kazan was laid at Sevmash in 2009, launched on March 31, 2017. It is planned that the boat will be part of the Northern Fleet, where the lead submarine of the Yasen-Severodvinsk series is already serving.
Submarines of projects 885 and 885M are carriers of the Caliber-PL and / or Onyx cruise missiles. In the future, they will be armed with Zircon hypersonic missiles. Currently, Sevmash (part of the United Shipbuilding Corporation) has five Project 885M submarines at different stages of construction. In 2019, a contract was signed for the construction of two more boats of this project.
Four Turkish soldiers killed in northeast Syria bomb attack
Four Turkish soldiers were killed in a car bomb attack in northeast Syria on Wednesday, the Turkish Defence Ministry said in a statement overnight, Reuters reports.
It said the attack occurred during a roadside security check in the region east of the Euphrates river in Syria, where Turkey carried out a military operation with allied Syrian rebels in October.
The Turkish incursion targeted the Syrian Kurdish YPG militia, which spearheaded the US-led war against Islamic State and which Ankara regards as a terrorist group tied to militants fighting an insurgency in southeast Turkey.
No further details on the attack were immediately available.
US defense chief says Iran intended to kill US soldiers
Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles overnight from three locations inside the country at two Iraqi bases where U.S. soldiers are deployed, but there were no casualties due to the military’s early warning systems, U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Wednesday.
Esper spoke to the press at the Pentagon after meeting with U.S. Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley and members of the House of Representatives and Senate.
“Iran last night sent 16 short-range missiles from three different regions to two bases where the U.S. and coalition soldiers are stationed. Eleven missiles hit the Ain al-Asad base and one hit the Erbil base. Some warehouses, parking and a helicopter were damaged at al-Asad base.”
Four of the missiles malfunctioned and failed to hit their targets, he added.
Esper did not answer questions about whether the U.S. and Iraq were informed before the attack.
He said the attacks were not random shots.
“Based on what I’ve seen, it was an attack with the intention of causing both structural damage and personnel loss.”
The attacks were carried out by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).
Iran said they came in response to the U.S. killing last week of the head of Iran’s elite Quds Force, Qassem Soleimani, in an airstrike outside Baghdad International Airport.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay
Source: TASS MEMO, Anadolu