Russian ship escorts US destroyer; Syrian regime airstrikes in Idlib; 22 killed by rebel fighters in Congo
PANAGYURISHTE, (BM) – Your briefly report on December 16 in last twelve hours from BulgarianMilitary.com:
Russian warship tracks movements of US Navy destroyer in Black Sea
A Russian Black Sea Fleet ship has begun escorting the US Navy’s Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Ross, which has entered the Black Sea’s southwestern part, a spokesman for the National Defense Management Center, a Russian defense ministry division, said on Sunday.
“The Vyshny Volochek fast attack guided missile craft is controlling the US ship’s movements,” the spokesman said.
A month ago, The Admiral Essen frigate alongside the Vyshny Volochek and Orekhovo-Zuyevo small missile ships tracked movements of the US Navy guided-missile destroyer USS Porter (DDG-78) that entered the southern part of the Black Sea.
Regime airstrikes kill child, wound 7 in Syria’s Idlib
Fighter jets of the Syrian regime struck a town in northwestern Syria on Sunday, killing a child and wounding seven people, according to the opposition White Helmets civil defense agency, Anadolu Agency reports.
Warplanes hit a bakery in the town of Maarsurin in Idlib province, which falls within a de-escalation zone where acts of aggression are explicitly prohibited, the agency said.
Regime planes carried another attack in the town, killing a child and wounding seven people.
On 7 December, the Bashar al-Assad regime and its ally Russia struck a marketplace in Idlib, leaving 19 people dead.
Since Moscow and Ankara reached a deal in September 2018, over 1,300 civilians have been killed in the Idlib de-escalation zone.Over a million Syrians have moved near the Turkish border following intense attacks.
Since the eruption of the bloody civil war in Syria in 2011, Turkey has taken in over 3.6 million Syrians who fled their country, making Turkey the world’s top refugee-hosting country.
Rebels in eastern DR Congo kill at least 22
At least 22 people were killed overnight by rebel fighters in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, police and a civil society group said Sunday.
Suspected rebel fighters from Uganda’s Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) on Saturday evening attacked the village of Ntombi, located around 40 kilometers northeast of the city of Beni in North Kivu province, they said.
“Among the victims were 15 men and seven women, mainly farmers. They were killed with machetes and bullets,” Patrick Musubao, president of the civil society in Beni’s Mayimoya district, told reporters.
The attack came a day after the rebels killed six civilians in the Rwangoma area of Beni, according Musubao.
Earlier this month, 26 people were killed in separate attacks — one in the village of Mantumbi and two others near the town of Kamango, according to local authorities.
More than 150 people have been killed by rebels since October, according to a local human rights organization known as CEPADHO.
Forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo launched operations against armed groups in the eastern part of the country at the end of October, triggering retaliatory attacks on civilians by the ADF.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay
Source: TASS, MEM, Anadolu Agency