Subscribe to Google News

Rockets Fall Near US Embassy; Niger Soldiers Were Killed in Attack; UAE Withdraws Troops from Yemen

PANAGYURISHTE, (BM) – Your briefly report on October 31 in last twelve hours from BulgarianMilitary.com:

Iraqi soldier killed as rockets fall near US embassy in Baghdad

Iraqi security officials said two rockets were fired into Baghdad’s fortified Green Zone area, killing one Iraqi soldier.

At least one of the Katyusha rockets fired Wednesday night landed about 100 meters (110 yards) away from the parameters of the US Embassy.

A soldier manning a checkpoint near a restaurant was killed, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with regulations.

The Green Zone is home to several Western embassies and government offices.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack. Iran-backed militias lashed out at the US and Israel over the weekend, accusing them of complicity in the torching of their offices.

The attack came as Iraq has been gripped by anti-government protests in Baghdad and the south against corruption and unemployment, spiraling into angry calls for a total government overhaul.

Twelve Niger soldiers killed in probable Boko Haram attack – ministry

Twelve soldiers in southeastern Niger were killed and eight wounded in an overnight attack by gunmen likely belonging to Islamist insurgent group Boko Haram, the defence ministry said on Wednesday.

Boko Haram has been fighting for a decade to carve an Islamist caliphate out of northeast Nigeria, and has carried out regular raids over loosely guarded borders into neighbouring Chad, Niger and Cameroon.

On the night of Oct. 29-30, an army position in Diffa region was “attacked by unidentified armed persons very probably belonging to the terrorist group Boko Haram,” the ministry said in a radio statement.

UAE hands over Yemen’s Aden to Saudi, withdraws troops

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) on Wednesday announced return of its troops from Yemen’s Aden after handing the province to Saudi and Yemeni forces, Anadolu reports.

“The handover of Aden to the Saudi and Yemeni forces was carried out responsibly and in accordance with a systematic military strategy and was completed successfully,” the UAE Armed Forces Command said in a statement carried by the official Emirates News Agency WAM.

The command stressed that Emirati forces “liberated the city of Aden from the Houthis and terrorist organizations on July 17, 2015.”

On Sunday, the Saudi-led coalition announced that Saudi Arabia took command of its forces in Aden from the UAE that has faced accusations of supporting separatist movements in the war-weary country.

Coalition forces in Aden had been under the UAE command since Riyadh and its Sunni allies began a massive air campaign in 2015 against Iran-aligned Houthi rebels, who overran much of Yemen a year earlier.

In August, scores were killed in clashes between UAE-backed forces and government troops in Aden amid rising anger in the Yemeni government against Abu Dhabi.

Read more: Troops Withdrawal in Eastern Ukraine; Syrian Pro-Regime Soldiers Have Been Captured

Read more: Turkish and Syrian Forces in Direct Fierce Clashes; Israel Army Shoot Down a Drone Over Gaza Strip

Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay

>>Be a reporter: Write and send your article.<<

BulgarianMilitary.com
Editorial team
Source: Reuters, MEMO, TTI

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More