If India Buys the Russian S-400, US Will Impose Sanctions Under the CAATSA Law
NEW DELHI, (BM) – If India buys the Russian S-400, US will impose of sanctions under the CAATSA law, learned BulgarianMilitary.com.
What is S-400 deal?
India signed an agreement with Russia last year to purchase the S-400 missile defence system. The US has expressed its displeasure and threatened to ban India through CAATSA. India will receive the first shipment of the S-400 missile defence system from Russia in 2021. India signed USD 5.43 billion agreement with Russia to procure five S-400 systems during the 19th Indo-Russian Annual Bilateral Conference in New Delhi on October 2018.
What is CAATSA?
The US Congress passed Countering America’s Adversaries through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) in 2017. It was signed by current US President Donald Trump on 02 August 2017 with an aim to counter the aggressions by Russia, Iran and North Korea. The US President has delegated his powers through CAATSA to ban 39 Russian entities, dealings with which could make third parties liable to sanctions. Its major objective is to discourage exports of Russian defence equipment.
Implications on India’s weapon purchase
• If CAATSA comes into the effect, it will directly affect India’s arms procurement from Russia.
• India has already signed a deal for S-400 air defence system. Some other projects like 1135.6 frigates and Ka226T helicopters will also come under the US scanner.
• CAATSA can affect India-Russia joint defence ventures. Top India-Russia joint ventures are – Brahmos Aerospace, Indo Russian Aviation Ltd and Multi-Role Transport Aircraft.
• Indian manufacturing entities generally import spare parts from various Russian companies for defence equipment.
• Raw materials, components, spare parts and research products will also affect with CAATSA.
Sanctions can be imposed
• The president of the USA can impose five or more sanctions as described in section 235 of CAATSA.
• CAATSA can prohibit loans to the sanctioned persons/organisation.
• It can impose a prohibition on procurement by the US Government to procure goods or services from the sanctioned person.
• As per section 235 of CAATSA denial of visas to persons closely associated with the sanctioned person can be imposed.
• Prohibition of export-import bank assistance for exports can be issued.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay
Source: Jagran Josh