Subscribe to Google News

Iraqi TV Stations Have Been Attacked; Turkey Starts Military Operation in Syria

PANAGYURISHTE, (BM) – Your briefly report on October 6 in last twelve hours from BulgarianMilitary.com:

Attacks on Multiple TV Stations in Iraq; Turkey Starts Military Operation in Syria

At least 19 people were reported killed on Saturday as the Iraqi government continued a brutal crackdown on protests.

The offices and journalists from several prominent networks, including Al-Arabiya, were attacked by masked gunmen on Saturday in what seems like a coordinated attempt to shut down all dissenting channels.

Internet and social media were also suppressed, a practice that began on October 2 in response to massive protests in Baghdad and southern Iraq.

Several stations were attacked on Saturday night, including NRT, Al-Arabiya and Dijlah TV. The attacks appeared coordinated because they happened around the same time.

Al-Arabiya was the first to be attacked. It tweeted at 10:04pm that it’s offices had been targeted by “masked gunmen.” Their journalists said they had received threats over the last days and that on the night of October 5 black-clad gunmen appeared.

The journalists were attacked, equipment destroyed and their mobile phones damaged. They said they called for assistance from Federal Police who did not intervene to help.

NRT has reported that protesters burned the Badr party headquarters in Nasiriyah at 8pm. Two hours later NRT’s offices were attacked in Baghdad and burned, according to their own report. It was 10:07pm. According to reported Dijlah TV’s offices were burned. That was reported around 9:57pm.

Al-Hadath reported at 10:24pm that masked men attacked their offices in Baghdad, Iraq. Three cars with armed men apparently stormed their office, according to a tweet from the station. At least one of their journalists was injured after being beaten.

Erdogan says Turkey to launch military operation in northeast Syria

Turkey will mount a military operation in northeast Syria, it said on Saturday, after accusing Washington of not doing enough to expel Syrian Kurdish fighters from its border.

The air and ground operation east of the Euphrates river in Syria could start at any time, President Tayyip Erdogan said.

The U.S.-backed force which controls the region, the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) led by the Kurdish YPG militia, said it wanted stability but vowed to respond to any attack.

“We will not hesitate to turn any unprovoked attack by Turkey into an all-out war on the entire border to defend ourselves and our people,” SDF spokesman Mustafa Bali said.

NATO allies Ankara and Washington agreed in August to set up a zone in northeast Syria along the border with Turkey, which considers the YPG a terrorist organisation linked to Kurdish insurgents at home.

Turkey has accused the United States, which helped the YPG defeat Islamic State militants in Syria, of moving too slowly to create the zone. They are at odds over how far it should extend into Syria and who should control it.

Read more: An Artillery Attack Has Hit a Hospital in Syria; Two Rockets Fired from Gaza

Read more: China Creates Early Missile Warning System; Six People Were Shot Dead in Iraq; Turkey and US Discuss Syria

Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay

>>Be a reporter: Write and send your article.<<

BulgarianMilitary.com
Editorial team
Source: Reuters, TJP

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More