Hezbollah Downs Israeli Drone; Taliban Threaten the US; Syrian Air Defences Foiled a Drone Attack
PANAGYURISHTE, (BM) – Your briefly report on September 9 in last twelve hours from BulgarianMilitary.com:
Lebanon’s Hezbollah downs Israeli drone – Hezbollah’s Al-Aanar TV
Lebanon’s Hezbollah downed an Israeli unmanned aircraft outside the southern town of Ramyah, the movement’s Al-Manar TV said early on Monday.
The Israeli drone is now in the hands of Hezbollah’s fighters, the Iran-backed group added in a statement.
More Americans will die after Trump abruptly ends Afghan talks, Taliban say
President Donald Trump’s decision to cancel Afghan peace talks will cost more American lives, the Taliban said on Sunday while the United States promised to keep up military pressure on the militants, in a stunning reversal of efforts to forge a deal ending nearly 20 years of war in Afghanistan.
The Islamist group issued a statement after Trump unexpectedly cancelled secret talks planned for Sunday with the Taliban’s major leaders at the presidential compound in Camp David, Maryland. He broke off the talks on Saturday after the Taliban claimed responsibility for an attack in Kabul last week that killed an American soldier and 11 others.
Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, criticized Trump for calling off the dialogue and said U.S. forces have been pounding Afghanistan with attacks at the same time.
“This will lead to more losses to the U.S.,” he said. “Its credibility will be affected, its anti-peace stance will be exposed to the world, losses to lives and assets will increase.”
In Washington, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that Afghan peace talks were on hold and Washington would not reduce U.S. military support for Afghan troops until it was convinced the Taliban could follow through on significant commitments.
Syrian army foils drone attack on military base in northwest
The Syrian army said on Saturday its air defences foiled a drone attack by “terrorist” groups on a main military base in northwestern Syria, where a Russian-brokered ceasefire has stopped months of fighting, reports Reuters.
The three drones, which were carrying explosives, were shot down on Friday and destroyed without causing any losses, the army said in a statement reported on Syrian state media.
The Idlib region saw a lull in air raids that have been pounding rebel-held territory after Russia’s defence ministry announced on Aug. 30 that Syrian forces would unilaterally cease fire in an “de-escalation zone” brokered two year ago.
The Russian defence ministry, which urged insurgent factions to join the truce, has long said along with its ally they were targeting al-Qaeda inspired militants and responding to attacks.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter. Subscribe and read our stories in News360App in AppStore or GooglePlay or in FeedlyApp in AppStore or GooglePlay
Source: Reuters, MEMO