US-Turkey Safe Zone Agreement is a ‘Blatant Attack and Aggression’, Syria Said

DAMASCUS, (BM) – The Syrian government has called the agreement between Turkey and the United States regarding a safe zone in northern Syria a “blatant attack” on the country’s sovereignty, learned BulgarianMilitary.com, quoting Al Jazeera.

Read more: War in Syria – Syrian Army Repels Terrorist Attacks Near al-Zakat-Hasraya at Last 24 Hours

On Wednesday, Turkey and the US reached a deal to establish a joint operations centre to coordinate and manage the setting up of a safe zone in northern Syria.

A joint statement by the Turkish Ministry of Defence and the US embassy in Ankara said the two sides agreed to set up the Turkey-based operations centre “as soon as possible” and that the safe zone “would become a “peace corridor”, without providing further details.

“Syria expresses categorical rejection of the agreement announced by the US and Turkish occupations on establishing the so-called [safe zone] which constitutes a blatant aggression against the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Syrian Arab Republic and a flagrant violation of the principles of the international law and the UN Charter,” a Syrian source at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs told SANA press agency on Thursday.

Read more: The US Has Warned Turkey – Any Turkish Operation in Northern Syria Would be “Unacceptable”

“This agreement has very clearly exposed the US-Turkish partnership in the aggression against Syria which serves the interest of the Israeli occupation entity and the Turkish expansionist ambitions and it unequivocally exposed the misleading and evasiveness which govern the policies of the Turkish regime,” the statement continued.

The US-Turkey statement did not specify how and when the zone would be created, but it appeared to avert a threatened Turkish operation into the region east of the Euphrates River in Syria.

“Syria calls on the international community and the UN to condemn the US-Turkish flagrant aggression which constitutes a dangerous escalation and poses a threat to peace and security in the region and the world and hinders all positive efforts for finding a solution to the crisis in Syria,” the government statement concluded.

Read more: Heavy Bombardment in Syria’s Last Rebel-Held Province

Northeastern Syria is currently under the control of the US-backed Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), largely comprising of the People’s Protection Units (YPG).

Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter.

>>Be a reporter: Write and send your article.<<

BulgarianMilitary.com
Editorial team
Source: Al Jazeera

DO YOU EVALUATE OUR REPORTING? WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT.

Dear reader,

BulgarianMilitary.com continues to be an objective and expert source of information in defense industry, military-political relations and military conflicts around the world.

Now more than ever, we need free and independent journalism. We believe that information shouldn't be behind a paid wall and we will continue to commit to keeping it free.

We know that our readers appreciate the content of BulgarianMilitary.com. In the last year, the indicators on our page have doubled. At the same time, the support of readers in the form of recurring monthly financial contributions provides continuous support for our work, which allows us to innovate.

We are more confident than ever in our role bridging media, policy, and the public. We thank you for your support.

Your recurring monthly financial contributions help us innovate for the future. Please, consider making a recurring contribution to BulgarianMilitary.com.
Comments
Loading...