Dozens Killed After an Air Strike on a Migrant Center in Libya; Gas Explosion or Not on Board a Russian Submersible
PANAGYURISHTE, (BM) – Your briefly report on July 03 in last 12 hours from BulgarianMilitary.com news team:
At least 40 killed in strike on Tripoli migrant detention centre
An air strike late on Tuesday hit a detention centre for mainly African migrants in a suburb of the Libyan capital of Tripoli, killing at least 40 people and wounding 80, a health official said, MEMO reports.
It is the highest publicly reported toll of an air strike or shelling since eastern forces loyal to Khalifa Haftar three months ago launched an offensive with ground troops and aircraft to take the capital held by the internationally recognised government.
The conflict is part of chaos in the oil-and-gas-producing nation since the NATO-backed overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.
Malek Mersek, a spokesman for a state emergency medical services, said 40 people had been killed and 80 wounded in the strike on the detention centre in the Tajoura suburb located next to a military camp.
The Tripoli-based government said in a statement that dozens of people had been killed and wounded in an air strike blamed on the “war criminal Khalifa Haftar”.
Russian Defense Ministry denies notifying Norway about submersible fire
The Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement on Tuesday it had not notified the Norwegian authorities about a ‘gas explosion’ on board a Russian Navy research submersible, TASS reported.
“Thanks to self-sacrificing actions of the crew, the fire at the submersible vehicle was put out. No notifications regarding the Russian deep-sea research submersible have ever been sent to the Norwegian side,” the ministry said.
The statement came as a response to a Reuters report, which cited Per Strand, a director at the Norwegian Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority, as saying that his agency “made checks” and was “not monitoring too high radiation levels in the area” where the accident took place. “He said Russian officials had told his agency that a gas explosion took place on board the submarine,” Reuters added.
The Russian Defense Ministry said earlier on Tuesday that a fire broke out aboard a deep-sea underwater research vehicle, designated for studying the seafloor and the bottom of the World Ocean in the interests of the Russian Navy. The accident, which claimed the lives of 14 crew members, occurred when the submersible was conducting bathymetric measurements in Russian territorial waters.
Later in the day, Russian President Vladimir Putin instructed Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu to fly to the city of Severomorsk on Russia’s Barents Sea coast to ensure a thorough investigation into the blaze.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter.
Source: TASS, MEMO