U.S. Cyber Attacks Against Iranian Missile Systems Have Not Been Successful, Iran said

TEHRAN, (BM) – U.S. cyber attacks against Iranian targets have not been successful, Iran’s minister said on Monday, within days of reports that the Pentagon had launched a long-planned cyber attack to disable his country’s rocket launch systems, learned BulgarianMilitary.com, quoting Reuters.

BulgarianMilitary.com recalls that US President Donald Trump approved a cyberattack that neutralized Iranian computer systems that activate rocket and missile launches.

Read more: Cyber Attack on Iranian Missile Systems

Tension is running high between longtime foes Iran and the United States after U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday said he called off a military strike to retaliate for Iran’s downing of an unmanned U.S. drone.

On Thursday, however, the Pentagon launched a long-planned cyber attack, Yahoo News said, citing former intelligence officials. The cyber strike disabled Iranian rocket launch systems, the Washington Post said on Saturday.

Read more: Iran ‘Shoots Down’ US Spy Drone

“They try hard, but have not carried out a successful attack,” Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi, Iran’s minister for information and communications technology, said on social network Twitter.

“Media asked if the claimed cyber attacks against Iran are true,” he said. “Last year we neutralised 33 million attacks with the (national) firewall.”

Azari Jahromi called attacks on Iranian computer networks “cyber-terrorism”, referring to Stuxnet, the first publicly known example of a virus used to attack industrial machinery, which targeted Iran’s nuclear facilities in November 2007.

Stuxnet, widely believed to have been developed by the United States and Israel, was discovered in 2010 after it was used to attack a uranium enrichment facility in the Iranian city of Natanz.

Read more: Indian Navy Has Deployed in the Gulf of Oman to Undertake Maritime Security Operations

The United States has also accused Iran of stepping up cyber attacks.

Last year, Trump withdrew the United States from a 2015 accord between Iran and world powers that curbed its nuclear programme in exchange for easing sanctions. Relations in the region have worsened significantly since then.

Trump said on Sunday he was not seeking war with Iran and would be prepared to seek a deal to bolster its flagging economy, an apparent move to defuse tensions.

Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our YouTube, Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter.

>>Be a reporter: Write and send your article.<<

BulgarianMilitary.com
Editorial team

Source: Reuters

Comments
Loading...

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More