Subscribe to Google News

Russia Invites US to Cyber Security Dialogue; Trump’s Arms Sales Was Blocked; Houthis Strike, Coalition Responds

PANAGYURISHTE, (BM) – Your briefly report on June 21 in last 12 hours from BulgarianMilitary.com news team:

Russia repeatedly invited US to start cyber security dialogue, no reply yet, Putin says

Russia has repeatedly invited the United States to enter into a dialogue to formulate rules of conduct in the cyberspace, but there has been no reply from the American side to this day, Russian President Vladimir Putin said during the annual question-and-answer session, TASS reports.

“We have repeatedly invited our US partners to start a dialogue to formulate some rules of conduct in the cyberspace, including those influencing critically important infrastructures and mass media. But we have not received any sensible answer to this day,” he said.

Russia ensures security of its energy system in order to counter cyberattacks, Putin said.

U.S. Senate rejects Saudi arms sales in rebuke to Trump

The U.S. Senate on Thursday voted to block the sale of billions of dollars in military sales to Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and other countries, rejecting President Donald Trump’s decision to sidestep Congress’ review of such deals by declaring an emergency over Iran, Reuters reports.

Trump has promised to veto the Senate action in order to proceed with the deals, worth some $8.1 billion. Senators would need 67 votes to override his veto, which looked unlikely after Thursday’s votes. The first and second resolutions of disapproval passed 53-45 and a third vote covering the remaining 20 resolutions was 51-45.

Backers of the resolutions, led by Democrat Bob Menendez and Republican Lindsey Graham, said they sent a bipartisan message to Saudi Arabia that Washington is not happy about human rights abuses, including the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi at a Saudi consulate in Turkey.

Many also expressed deep concern with Saudi Arabia and the UAE over the war in Yemen, where the two countries are battling Iran-backed Houthi rebels. The United Nations has described the conflict in Yemen, which has killed tens of thousands of people including thousands of civilians, as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.

Yemen’s Houthis strike Saudi utility station, coalition responds

Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthis launched a projectile into southern Saudi Arabia late on Wednesday which the Saudi-led coalition said landed near a desalination plant without causing damage or casualties, MEMO reports.

About 24 hours later, the coalition responded with strikes it said targeted Houthi military sites in northern Hodeidah, including booby-trapped boats the group had prepared for terrorist acts and to threaten international shipping.

The Houthis – who threatened last month to attack 300 vital military targets in Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen – announced via their Al Masirah TV that a cruise missile they fired had struck an electricity station in Shuqaiq.

A Saudi-based industry source said the strike targeted a power transformer station near the plant, which led to a small fire that was quickly doused and did not impact operations.

US President Donald Trump was briefed on the reported strike and the White House was monitoring the situation, spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said, amid mounting fears of a military confrontation between Tehran and Washington.

Pentagon spokeswoman Navy Commander Rebecca Rebarich said such attacks were “a significant cause for concern and (put)innocent lives at risk”.

Yemen army says cleared 2000 Houthi explosive devices

The Yemeni army yesterday announced that its forces have removed 2,000 explosive devices and one mine during the past few days, which were planted by Houthi rebels in the governorate of Hajjah, in the northwest of the country, MEMO reports.

The media centre of the armed forces’ Fifth Military Region said in a statement that “the explosive devices and mines were removed from the Khadra and Al-Naseem farms in the governorate of Hajjah”.

The statement noted that the armed forces have also recovered heavy weapons, including a Russian-made tank and a number of military vehicles held by the Houthis on the farms.

There was no immediate comment from the Houthis on the Yemeni army’s announcement.

Yemen has been witnessing a war between pro-government forces and Houthi militants for five years now, leaving swathes of the country devastated by war and the population on the brink of famine.

Read more: A Missile Attack of Yemen’s Houthis; Saudi Prevented Another Airstrike; Iran ‘Shoots Down’ US Spy Drone

Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter.

>>Be a reporter: Write and send your article.<<

BulgarianMilitary.com
Editorial team
Source: Reuters, MEMO, TASS

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More