There Were No Chemical Attacks in Syria’s Idlib De-Escalation Zone, Russia said
MOSCOW, (BGM) – There were no chemical attacks in Syria’s Idlib de-escalation zone on May 19 and there could not be any as Syrian government troops declared a unilateral ceasefire from May 18, learned BulgarianMilitary.com, quoting TASS and according Russian Defense Ministry Igor Konashenkov.
“We would like to draw attention of the State Department to the fact that Syrian government troops were the first to unilaterally cease fire as far back as May 18 and never yielded to numerous provocations for several days. So, there were no ‘attacks’ in the Idlib de-escalation zone on May 19 and there could not be any,” he stressed.
Read more: US Suspected Chlorine Attack
As we (BGM) reported early this week the United States announced it suspected that the Syrian government forces had carried out a new chemical attack and threatened with a decisive strike back.
The State Department said on May 22, it was still investigating the indications that the regime used chemical weapons on Sunday during its offensive in Idlib, the Syria’s largest area controlled by rebel groups.
Syrian Special Envoy Jim Jeffrey told the House Foreign Affairs Committee on Wednesday that the United States so far could not confirm the specific chemical agent used.
“We at this point do not have any confirmation that chlorine, which was the substance that was suggested or alleged has been used — but again, we haven’t finished our review of that,” Jeffrey said.
Follow us everywhere and at any time. BulgarianMilitary.com has responsive design and you can open the page from any computer, mobile devices or web browsers. For more up-to-date news from us, follow our Reddit, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook pages. Do not miss the chance to subscribe to our newsletter.